There's my girl.

"That's bullshit." She says simply and I can't help but chuckle. Knox scoffs again and stands.

"Alex, I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously with this development. You have proven yourself a formiddable Alpha on numerous occasions, but this... This makes me seriously question your judgement." He says gravely and I feel myself shaking with anger.

"He tortured me." Leah says firmly. I look up at her and she is standing rigid, pure venom in her tone as she throws her words at him.

"What?" Knox asks and Leah takes a deep breath.

"Silas. He tortured me. For three months. He kept me in a cell. Barely fed me. Beat me regularly. Threatened to rape me. Let his men... touch me. Never enough for him to feel the pain but enough to scare me. He slept with other women, making me pass out from the pain nearly every night. He was disgusting, cruel and evil. When I woke up and Alex told me he was dead I was relieved. I have no interest in avenging his death. In fact, if you could bring him back from the dead just so I could kill him myself I would do it. Happily." She concludes and my mouth drops in astonishment.

We had never really discussed what she went through while she was held hostage. Based on the nightmares I could imagine it was horrific, but I couldn't fathom a wolf keeping his mate in such disgusting conditions.

"Why would Silas allow his mate to be treated this way?" Knox questions and I can see the disbelief written on his face.

"Because I'm human." Leah answers and her voice trembles with emotion. I grip her hand and pull her onto my lap, not caring that we have an audience. I tuck her face into my neck as a few tears slip down her face. I rub her back gently and kiss her forehead.

"It's ok Leah. I won't let anyone hurt you ever again." I murmur in her ear and she nods, sniffling her tears. Knox sighs heavily and stands.

"I need to talk to my Beta. We'll be back in a few moments." He says. I know he is only leaving to give Leah some privacy since he could just mindlink, but I appreciate the sentiment regardless.

After they leave I return my attention to Leah. She's dried her tears and that strong woman I've come to adore is back.

"Maybe we shouldn't do this, Alex. Or not tell people if it will cause problems." She offers and I growl at her words.

"No. You are mine and I have no problem letting people know. I am not ashamed or embarrassed of you. I love you and I will not hide that. If he can't get over his bullshit, then I don't need him as an ally. Our pack will be just as beneficial to his as his will be to ours." I say firmly and a little smile spreads across her face.

"What are you smiling at?" I ask curiously and her smile grows.

"You said 'our pack'." She says and I can't help but chuckle.

"Well, obviously. I think they love you more than me." I say and she chuckles.

"Don't worry, baby. You're still my favorite." She says with a charming smile and that makes the tightness in my chest loosen. I huff out a laugh and lean down to catch her lips in a sweet kiss.

"Why didn't you tell me what you went through? I would have listened." I say and she shrugs, looking away from me.

"I kind of just wanted to forget about it. Put it in a little box in my mind and leave it there. Thinking about it doesn't do any good and it feels so good to be here, to be loved by you and to love you in return. I don't want to tarnish that with those memories. That's the old part of my life. You are my future." She says and I smile, cupping her cheek and running my thumb along her bottom lip.

"You're incredible." I murmur, not really meaning to. But the beaming smile she gives me makes it worth it.

"I know." She quips making me laugh. "And don't you forget it." She warns.

"Wouldn't dream of it." I say kissing her again until the door creaks open. Leah lifts herself from my lap and tries to go sit on the couch, but I grip her hand and silently ask for her to stay close to me. She obliges, hovering slightly behind my chair. It's like she just knows that I would want her behind me as a protective stance when another Alpha is in the room.

Knox retakes his seat and his stoic Beta stands next to him. Knox takes a deep breath and huffs it out, running his hand through his hair.

"I think we can help each other. If we work together I think we can cut off this threat before it reaches either of our packs. For that reason I'm willing to enter into an alliance. But I would appreciate you marking each other before we work together. At least then I know your bond is solid and real. It will be less of a risk on my part." I scoff at his words and roll my eyes.

"You will not tell me when to mark my mate, Knox." I say firmly.

"I'm not trying to. I'm just saying I don't want to work with you until it happens." I go to retort but Leah squeezes my hand firmly and gives me a mischevious grin.

"Oh, don't worry Alpha. That won't be a problem."