Part 6

After two weeks of being there, Ophelia finally went into labor. She had gone through the pregnancy with no problems whatsoever, even though her baby was not a normal human baby.

The natural way was tried first, but it seemed the shell was just too big to pass through the pelvis. The two adult women had to do a c-section right in the apartment. They had all the right tools and sterile stuff. Ophelia was given an injection to numb her body, and the baby was delivered safely.

After the midwife cleaned out its airway, the baby began to cry.

The baby was a girl, but these humans knew nothing about turtles. She had green skin that reflected Mikey's, his hands and feet, and his shell and plastron. A tail too. She was an exact image of her father.

The baby was cleaned up, while Ophelia's mom took care of her daughter's stitches. Once that was done, the baby was given to her mother, all wrapped up in a soft towel.

Ophelia had thought that she wasn't a mother type of girl, but when she saw Mikey in the face of her baby, she couldn't have loved her more. She kissed her, and did try to feed her.

Despite being a turtle, this baby did have a sucking reflex. As much as her mom didn't want to her do it because it would be a way for Ophelia to be bonding with the baby, they didn't have any formula. Ophelia had put a finger in her mouth first, and she had sucked on it. So she ended up nursing her for her first meal.

Ophelia had been instructed during her pregnancy about breastfeeding. Since this baby was part human and had the sucking reflex, it was critical for her to receive the colostrum in Ophelia's milk. It would provide some antibodies and such.

The midwife said to keep the baby a few days, at least until Ophelia's colostrum turned to real milk, then they would switch to formula. The mom was disappointed that they couldn't get rid of the baby turtle right away, but it did make sense, because her daughter also needed to get some strength back before taking the baby elsewhere. At least the baby had been born at a good time of year, when it was warm outside.

Ophelia's mom had wanted to get rid of the baby soon after it was born, so her daughter wouldn't want to bond with it. The longer they kept her, the harder it would be for Ophelia to want to part with her. Ophelia's mommy outlook had changed now. One first look at that innocent cute, little turtle was too much. She wanted to keep her.

"No Ophelia. We agreed that as soon as you are strong enough, we are to track down these turtles, and Mikey, and give them this baby. It is for the greater good, Honey. You cannot give this young turtle a life like the one we gave you. It is better that others like it, raise it."

"But can't I be in my own daughter's life? At least visit her?" Ophelia asked. She wanted so much to be a part of her little girl's life.

"We'll talk about it with your father. We are staying here in New York until you get the stitches out, then we are going home. Before you have them out though, you should be strong enough to walk around again ,and try to find that friend of the turtles. April O'Neil, is it?" Her mom inquired.

"Yes."

Her mom began to track down April's address. She found it under the 2nd Time Around Antique Store. She wasn't going to call though, just wanted the address so they could deliver the baby to her.

-

Seven days after the baby was born, it was time to get the baby to April's place. Ophelia was still very sore, but she had to do it for the baby's own good. The baby was put into a special little basket that held her very well, and wasn't too heavy to carry. She was covered up with a blanket over the top to hide the looks.