𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐄𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡?

Jake finds you alone in the meeting room after another practice session with your friend. It's late, and he's feeling pretty beat after hours of dancing and listening to a demanding shit-face correct his body movements (especially considering the fact that he's a pro at everything concerning his body). He wipes sweat from his face, using the shirt he'd discarded several minutes earlier. You look up from your phone upon noticing his entrance.

"Still not used to seeing me without my shirt on?" he teases, seeing the way your eyes rove over his bare body, seeing the way they wander. You only arch a brow at him, meeting his eyes with an even smile.

"Why should I already be used to seeing you without it on?" you say back. "You fight with a whole suit on. And it's not as if we're—" Ah. He knows what you're about to say, but you shut your mouth before the rest of it can come out. Now he's embarrassed, knowing what you're thinking.

"Yeah. Anyway."

He takes a seat next to you. You make a face. He frowns at your expression. "What?"

"You're getting sweat all over my suit," you complain, pushing him away a bit with your hand on his arm. There's a tense note in your voice. He submits to your wishes, instead opting to sit on the floor with his shoulder to your knee. The look on your face shows that it isn't much better But you'll have to make do.

"You know, I'm curious," Jake says after a moment of silence. You make a quiet noise of acknowledgement. There's a peace to the company you provide each other with that comforts him. It's a nice break from the loud moments of chaos he he has to deal with when around the rest of the crew.

"About what?" you prod when he remains silent.

"About the song you're making me dance to. What's the guy there saying?"

"Oh." You suck in a breath through your teeth. Beyond disinclined to translate the lyrics of the song to this man. "Are you sure you want to know?"

"Um, yeah. It can't be that bad, right?"

"I guess... well, in the first verse, a literal translation would be 'Girl, that pussy is a blessing—'"

Jake is too horrified to ask you to stop. Not horrified. Simply overwhelmed. You're already at the bridge of the vulgar song when you discern the defeated expression on his face. Kind of looks like he just got the soul sucked out of him. You jerk your knee into his shoulder. He remains in that position. Stock-still. Soulless. To think he'd hear you vocalize such filth! He's so close to saying goodbye to this world.

"Jake, are you alright? Hey, if you're embarrassed to hear me say such things, you only have yourself to blame! You asked me to translate the lyrics for you!"

He's shaken out of his stupor by the mortification in your voice. He looks back at you. "I know, I know. All of it makes sense now, too. You were right about the hip thrusts."

You splutter around a forming retort. Jake laughs. It's the sincere, happy kind. You close your eyes. This man is too much for you.

"It's also a new discovery for me, you know. I didn't know you were so well-versed in—"

"Jake, we're the same age. Of course I've done all that."

Jake's features pinch together. Like a human replica of a constipated puffer-fish. You cross your arms at him. "What is it this time?!"

"I... I didn't know someone had already taken all your firsts."

"What?" A smug look takes over your face. Now it's your turn. "I mean, you haven't yet?"

Jake looks down. "No. I can't really say I've had the time to try it, either."

"Oh." You make a pointless gesture with your hands. "Sorry, I guess."

"Are they still special to you?" Jake says, unable to help himself, to douse his curiosity. "You know. In case they need the protection of our crew, or something."

Nice save, Jake.

You shake your head. There's an honesty to your expression that reassures him further. "No. He isn't. Besides, I have someone else, someone more special, in mind."

Just kidding. Now that's even more devastating.

"Ah. Do they need the protection of our crew? I could always ask a few guys to—"

"You don't have to worry about him, Jake," you say. Disappointment stains your tone. It piques his curiosity, but does nothing to assuage the sudden drop in his spirits. "I'm sure he can take care of himself. I mean, he's part of our crew, anyway."

"Interesting. And that's good to hear." He stands. "You should go to bed soon, (Y/N). I'm just going to freshen up."

"Okay." You watch him as he goes. "I'll sleep soon."