The Reckoning

Damon and Katherine are in a car

Damon and Katherine are in a car. He's driving.

Katherine looks at him. "Are you hungry? Let's stop for a bite. A truck stop. Or a trucker."

Damon cringes. "Oh, stop being cute."

Katherine shrugs. "It's not possible."

"We've been driving around aimlessly for hours." Damon huffs turning to her. "Where are we going?"

"Far enough away so that you can't go running back."

"Not to worry. Mystic Falls and I are on a bit of a break." Damon says although those words hurt him a little.

"You and Mystic Falls, or you and Niki?" Katherine smirks.

"Let's just say I'm not the greatest ex boyfriend..." He furrows his brows. "Or friend, I don't even know what I am to her anymore."

Katherine chuckles sheepishly. "I love that girl. She has some spice, some fire."

"A lot like you I'm assuming." Damon licks his bottom lip.

"Mhm." Katherine crosses her arms smirking. "You know, one day I think me and her would be the best duo on the face of the earth." She shrugs. "Practically indestructible."

"I think all hell would break loose if that ever happens." Damon remarks.

Katherine glances over at him. "That's the point."

"I don't think Niki is stupid enough to become the second illusive Katherine Pierce."

She sighs smirking. "Her loss."

Damon leans over to her and captures her lips in a kiss. Katherine was shocked yet added onto it. Within a few seconds Damon pushed her away making her extremely lost.

"What are you doing?" Katherine looks at him, lips flushed pink from the impact.

"I thought I'd give it a shot." He shrugs. "Truth is, you just don't do it for me anymore."

- -

An hour or so later, Damon parks the car in a parking lot of a closed food place. He opens the car door, stepping out from it leaving Katherine confused. "Why are we stopping?"

Damon looks inside, his door still left open. "I thought we might want to stretch our legs. Take a break from the sexual tension." He smirks. "I'm tired of driving. It's your turn."

Katherine rolls her eyes, hopping out of the car. "Fine."

He holds the keys out for her. When she's about to take them, he suddenly throws the keys away.

"Hey!" She exclaims. "I..."Damon wasn't falling for whatever she was planning to do. "We're not going anywhere until you spill your guts."

Katherine lets out a frustrated huff. "Fine." She takes something out of her pocket and shows him Elena's necklace. "Do you recognize this, hmm? A little birdy told me that Klaus wants to get his hands on it."