[37]

After that terrible night, Alex got a lot more silent and reserved than usual. He had briefly told Dora that Helena had broken off their relationship but asked her not to pursue the woman for answers. 

He knew his sister couldn't see him hurt so he tried his best to be normal around her. But deep down he was hurting.

He no longer remembered when was the last time he had had a peaceful sleep ever since he had to let go of Helena. Even then, he was laying on his bed, all the times he had spent with Helena playing on repeat.

He could still not figure out where he had gone wrong and what had triggered her to abruptly put an end to them.

A knock shook him out of his painful thoughts and knowing that it would be Dora, he reluctantly got up.

"Al, Luke's outside and he called but it seems as if he's hurt. Can I let him in?"

He opened the door, surprise crossing his features as he asked, "he's hurt?"

"I don't know, he just called and..."

He nodded, taking his jacket because it was chilly outside, "stay here, I'll check."

Dora followed him to the staircase and stopped, watching as Alex went down to the shop area. The lights in the kitchen flickered on and then the distinct sound of the main door opening could be heard.

Alex had opened the door but to his shock, Luke fell forward and he had to catch him to prevent him from striking the ground. "What happened to you?"

"Accident..."

His face was bruised, blood was dried on his nose and upper lip and he looked as if he had stepped right out of a boxing match. The black shirt he wore was slashed in several places as well. Alex put his jacket over Luke's shoulders instead and brought him inside, closing the door after him.

Dora had come down by then too and seeing his current state, she was quite horrified. But before she could ask anything, Alex gestured her not to, as he carefully helped Luke sit on the couch.

He then fetched an ice pack from the fridge, giving it to her, "I'm making some soup for him. See to it that his bruises are treated. I don't think he'll be able to give answers right now, let him get better first."

"But did he tell you anything? He looks awful..."

"Said he got into an accident but to me, it looks like he got beaten up."

She looked back at Luke who was almost unconscious by then. Both had no idea what he had gotten himself into but it was truly something terrible as seen from the current state he was in.

Dora gently pressed the ice pack on his bruised face and he shuddered, hazel looking up in brown. "And here you go proving once again how dumb you are," she remarked, noticing that he was about to speak up.

"I was returning from my friend's and didn't bother taking the bus because I am used to walking around..."

She shook her head, "who told you to go out in the city at night all by yourself? You were bound to get into trouble."

"Yeah, I figured that out first hand... The thugs here are insufferable. They took my wallet, would have taken my phone as well if not for the cop sirens, I guess someone reported to the police," he sat up with her help, taking the ice pack from her hands, "I'm sorry... I troubled you guys as well..."

"No you did not," Alex brought over the bowl of hot soup, "but tell me, does Mum or your father know where you are? Because you look in no state to return to your place like this and they will be getting worried."