"Chris, it's probably going to take me years to deal with this. I'm still going to go see her until I handle it better."

"I know, Brian. I'm just happy you're still going to see her instead of ditching her."

He smiled. "Me too."

I smiled back at him and leaned my head on his shoulder. I kept it there until we got to the school.

When we stepped inside the gym, I looked around. The floor is covered by blue paper, with lights on it, and fountains made by scraps of paper. Blue drapes are hung across the ceiling. There are a few other kids in here, some being Brian's friends.

Michelle looked over at us and smiled. "Hey, guy!" She ran over to us.

"Hey, Michelle," Brian said, giving her a hug.

"You look so handsome," she said. "You too, Chris."

"Oh, and I'm not handsome," Spencer said, coming up behind her.

"Spencer, we went just as friends," she said.

"I know; I'm just joking."

Tristan came over with Kalani, Sophia, and Alfred, a sophomore who is Sophia's date. "So what do you think of the decorations, Chris?" he asked.

"It looks great. You guys did a great job."

"Thanks," Sophia said.

I saw a lady walking in with a camera in her hand. She must be the photographer.

"Alright! Us first!" Kalani takes Tristan's hand and walks over to the photographer.

"Kill me now," I heard Spencer muttering under his breath.

"Hey, guys."

I looked to see Gabriella with Wilbur, Jarrod, Ramona, Tanisha, and a guy I've never seen before.

"Hey," Sophia said.

Wilbur took Gabriella's hand into his. Couple of months ago, we found out that Wilbur was the guy Gabriella was seeing! Everybody was kinda shocked about it, because they don't understand how a sweet guy like Wilbur is doing with a rebel like Gabriella. What a coincidence that might happen, huh?

"Still can't believe she's dating Wilbur," I whispered to Brian.

"Me too," he whispered back.

"Okay, who's next?" the photographer asked.

"We should take ours, Chris." Brian grabbed my arm and walked me over to her. She pointed where she wanted us to stand and made Brian wrap his arms around me. After she took a couple of pictures, she excused us.

"Hey, guys," Jack walked over to us with Cynthia, Brent, and Kayla.

"Hey," Brian said.

"Brian, you look great," Cynthia said.

"You too." He gives her a hug.

"I hear you've been going to therapy," she said.

"From who?" he asked.

"From Jarrod and Austen."

"Of course you did," he muttered under his breath.

"Therapy for what?" Kayla asked. Brent gives her a look. "Oh."

"Has it been going well?" Cynthia asked.

"Yeah, so far."

"Good." Then her face changed. "Listen, um, Brian, I gotta tell you something."

"What is it?"

Just as Cynthia opened her mouth, the photographer called out, "Sweetheart, can you and your girlfriend come over here!"

"Yes, Mom," Jack said.

Cynthia grabs Jack's arm. "I'll talk to you later," she said as she walked away.

As we waited, I mostly spent hanging out with Brian and his friends. They mostly talk about what they'll be doing during the summer and their senior year next year. I felt left out because I'm going to be a sophomore next year and I'll only have three years left of high school, then I'll get out of this hellhole.

Cynthia hasn't come back to Brian yet; she mostly hung out with Jack, Brent, Kayla, Tanisha, and her date. Maybe what she wanted to tell him wasn't important at all.

A bunch of people started to show up about an hour later. I see my family sitting down with Brian's family. My mom and Brian's mom seem to be talking to each other.

"Come on, guys. The march is going to start soon," Sophia said.

Yesterday, we practiced doing the march. I was confused which way to go when we stepped from behind the drapes, but luckily Brian's there to lead me.

As I waited for Brian's and mine turn, nervousness started to go through me. What if I mess up? What if I trip and fall in front of everybody? I'll never hear the end of it.

When they called mine and Brian's name, we both walked to each other. He reached his arm out to me and I grabbed it, and we walked down the aisle. We stopped for a few seconds, then walked to the right side of the gym before stopping again and went to the other side and disappeared with some of the other kids. After the march got done, the lights turned on and everybody for out on the gym floor.

"My butt hurts," Jane said.

"You look so handsome, Chris," Layla said.

"Thank you," I said.

"Can't believe you went to prom with my brother," Seth said.

"Me neither," I said. "But I'm glad I did."

Brian comes up to me. "Our mothers want us to take pictures."

"Now," I whined.

"Yes." He took my hand and as we turned we heard someone say something.

"Brian?"

Brian stopped when he heard someone called his name and his head went quickly up. He then turned his head to see a couple with two young girls and a boy.

"Brian, is that you?" The woman asked.

Brian just stood there, not saying a word. He then turned to Cynthia, who happened to be standing by us.

"Yeah, this is what I was going to tell you," she said.

Brian turned and ran away.

"Brian!" The woman called out.

I looked after him, trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Who are these people?

"Mom, why did Brian run off?" One of the girls asked.

"I'm not sure yet, sweetheart," she said.

"I'll go get him." I pushed through a bunch of people and ran out of the gym.

♥️♥️♥️

Who are these mysterious people? Why did Brian run away from them? Find out in the next chapter.