What Did You Expect?

Seconds later she was replaced by Sam who ran into the room, he filled with worry as he noticed his friend resting on the floor by a pool of blood.

"Karli!" he said, announcing his presence and failing to hide the worry in his voice as he knelt down next to her. "What happened?"

"Sharon," she sobbed. "Sharon's the Power Broker. You have to help them. Sam, please."

"Now what?" Sam asked in an accusatory tone as he took over putting pressure on Y/N's wound. "What are you gonna do now, Karli?"

"Not this," she said, tears streaming down as she tore her gaze away from her dying soulmate to face the new Captain America. "Sam, please, I can't lose them."

"You won't," Sam said. He slid his arms under Y/N's unconscious body and picked her up, standing up himself before walking out. Karli stood and watched as he walked out, knowing she couldn't follow, it was only now that she realised that Sharon had gotten away. She took an alternate route to get back up to the surface where she would be able to hide in the shadows to witness the fate of her soulmate. Sam walked out into a crowd of cameramen and reporters towards an ambulance that was waiting for them. The ambulance loaded them up and prepared to leave as Sam faced the reporters that surrounded him, delivering a powerful speech which forced people to realise that things needed to change. And they did.

Isaiah Bradley was provided with a statue at the Smithsonian to recognize his time in the war, Bucky ended up spending more time with the Wilson's while Y/N was in recovery at the hospital after the bullet had been removed. The two of them visited every couple of days and after a while they helped sneak Karli inside after making sure it was safe enough to do so.

"How are you feeling?" Karli asked.

"Like I've been shot," Y/N said, forcing a small laugh through the pain that came with.

"I thought you were the one that was supposed to worry about me," she said with a sad smile.

"Hopefully we can figure out a life where neither of us have to worry."

"That sounds nice."

"We'll figure it out."

"I love you, Birdie."

Y/N smiled and they both leaned forward, closing the distance between them and sharing their first kiss. As much as they would like to consider it the first nice and peaceful moment together as an actual couple, they both knew that their story was far from over.