Chapter 8 - Making Amends

When they arrived at the Weiss home they were welcomed warmly, though Sam and Dean both felt a bit embarrassed. "Dr. Weiss," Sam said, as he shook hands with him, "We are so sorry for what we did to your home, not to mention what we must have done to your minds."

"Please, call me Mitch, and lets forget that, shall we?" Dr. Weiss answered sincerely. "We figure you must have had a damn good reason, and maybe you'll tell us all about it one day. But right now, let's solve another problem." He led them into the large, elegant living room and introductions were made all around. Marcia, the Weiss's daughter, and her husband, Victor were also present. Mrs. Weiss was introduced as Clarice.

Maria looked around the room in wonder. She thought this must be what was always called the drawing room in the mystery novels she read. It was large and refined, with tasteful antiques and tapestries for adornments. The couches and chairs looked comfortable though; soft overstuffed pillows covered in a rich burgundy velvet upholstery, the kind of furniture you don't see much anymore.

Refreshments were laid out on the coffee table, and everyone was seated except Dean, who leaned casually against the fireplace with his arms folded,  pretending that he fit right in there.

Mitch looked over to Katie and Maggie and smiled. "So you girls are into all this supernatural stuff too, huh? How did that happen?"

The girls both laughed, and Katie said, "That's a very long and complicated story, Dr. Weiss, um, Mitch. How about we help your family first."

Sam cut in at that point. "Can you tell us what's been going on, starting from the beginning, with as much detail as you can remember."

Marcia cleared her throat. "It started shortly after we moved from Milwaukee to Chicago. Things would just happen all by themselves. Dishes flew out of the cupboards, drawers would open and things would be strewn all around. Then there would be a time when nothing happened, sometimes for weeks, and then all of a sudden it would start up again."

Marcia's husband, Victor, took up the narrative. "At first we thought one of the kids were doing it as a protest against the move. But then we saw it happen for ourselves, and no one was doing it, things were just flinging about all by themselves."

"We told Dad about it," Marcia continued, "and he said right away that it was something supernatural. Then he told us what you guys… what really happened here. At first they had said it was some sort of break in by vandals. But when we explained what was happening to us, and we wouldn’t… we just couldn't believe that, you know, about it being something supernatural, so they told us what really happened here. Not that we could believe that any easier."

"Didn't matter what we believed," Victor said. "We were willing to try anything. So we called in a psychic, one that actually had some credentials with the Chicago police department. She said it was a poltergeist, a bad one."

"She had us leave the house for two days while she did all kinds of cleansing things," Marcia said. "She told us the house should be clean, but it wasn't. Things started happening again in less than a week."

Victor looked at Sam and Dean in turn. "We looked up the history of the house. Turned out that a family who had lived there in the 1920's were all killed in their sleep. So we researched other families who had lived there but couldn't find anyone who was still alive. The house has been vacant for over fifty years, which is why we got such a great deal on it. We've always wanted to fix up a Victorian style house."

"We talked to neighbors, anyone we thought might have some information, the realtor we bought the house through, who had nothing  to add, or maybe just didn't want to share it. By the way..." Victor got up and went to get his briefcase. He opened it and pulled out a folder and two books. "This is all the information I was able to dig up on the house and the murders. Both these books mention it, and these are copies of newspaper clippings from back when it happened."