one

you looked in the mirror, wearing the pinkish-red, baggy bodysuit. you examined your outfit, not very pleased with how it made your body look. you were pretty picky but of course, since this was a real job, you couldn't say anything because it's only the first day.

still nervous, you decided not to put your mask on for now. you still didn't know what exactly your job was. all you knew was that, there were 456 players and all you had to do was watch them while they played games. make sure that they weren't cheating.

seems like an easy enough job so you agreed. finally, you decided to put on your mask. then the speakers were turned on, a woman's soft voice could be heard on the pa.

us guards knew that at this time we should be standing at the stairs. watching all the players go where they needed to go. you were amazed at how many players there were. you knew the numbers but to see all the players was just so cool to you.

"attention players, after you enter the game hall, please stand behind the white line drawn on the field and await further instructions." the woman on the pa system spoke.

you were one of the guards standing beside of the robot doll that had a yellow shirt and orange dress. from your view, everyone looked like ants. you knew what game they were going to play but didn't know the penalty if one were to get caught.

"here is the first game. you will be playing red light, green light. you are allowed to move forward when 'it' shouts out, 'green light,' stop when 'it' shouts, 'red light.' if your movement is detected afterward, you will be eliminated."

even if the players were far away, you could see the confusion and excitement on their faces. at this moment, you kind of wished you were a player. red light, green light was one of your favorite games as a kid.

"the players who cross the finish line without being eliminated within the five minute playtime will pass this round."

you chuckled. everyone should pass. this game is sooo easy! you thought. after a time limit appeared on the wall, the doll started singing.

"mugunghwa kkochi piotsseumnida!" the doll sang, all players running. the doll turned it's head around and you could see a player with blonde hair trying to keep his balance.

aish, this idiot. he should always stop before hand! you sighed in disappointment. "Player 324. Eliminated." the woman on the pa spoke.

then a gunshot was heard. the blonde haired boy fell to the floor, completely still. you were confused. was this guy pretending? why did he fall? the robot turned back around and started to sing once again. the guy who wasn't too far behind the blonde one, turned him around to see that he got shot.

he was in complete shock. the robot faced the crowd of players, the guy slowly backing away in fear. he ended up running back to the group of players and then he was shot, covering the face of the woman in front of him with blood.

she screaming in terror, everyone screaming along and panicking. they all started running back to the barns they came from, desperate to escape. they all were getting shot at, one by one. you were lost for words. you didn't know how to react. you had to stay still but you couldn't believe what you were seeing. you were watching everyone die before your eyes.

was it too late to take back what i said about wanting to be a player? you thought while gulping hard.

there were still some players who weren't moving because they knew what would happen. after everyone got shot, the robot turned back around since it couldn't detect any movement. it's sang once again. you could see the players were hesitant but they kept running.

they stopped once the doll turned around. you watched the players anxiously not knowing if they'd make it or not. but at the same time you were still trying to process what happened about a minute ago.

you could see that the players were super close to the finish line when one player caught your eye. your eyes were suddenly glued onto her. player 067. it was her eyes that attracted you. they were pretty. you watched as she passed the finish line, relief on her face.

you face the front and realize that another player was about to trip over a dead player's arm. as he was falling, another player grabbed his sweater keeping him from falling all the way.

the robot had turned around to face front again and i could see how hard they were trying not to move. the robot turned back around and they started running for it. you were watching them while mentally cheering for them.

they jumped over the finish line and landed on the floor. all the surviving players were panting heavily, covered in sweat and dirt. you were glad they survived but at the same time, you were still terrified. then you remember player 067. you immediately turned your head to find her.

there you saw her, with her legs bent, and her arms on top of her knees completely out of breath. since you were wearing mask, she couldn't see that you were looking directly at her but she could tell that you were looking in her direction.

you locked eyes for a spilt second before you panicked, facing your front. you, and other guards then approached the group of players to escort them back to their room.

you all walked up a pair of stairs and you just so happened to be behind player 067. as you were going up the stairs you tapped her back. she looked back at you with that fierce "what do you want?" type look on her face.

you whispered lowly, "we're the last ones in the line. come follow me." she looked at you like you were absolutely delusional. "and why would i do that?" she asked. "just do it." you pleaded trying not to sound weird or desperate.

she subtly looked around then she replied. "fine." she quickly answered as she waited for you to pass her so you could lead her on where to go. when you were hidden in a place were there were no cameras, she looked around then looked at you.

"are you okay?" you asked randomly. she looked at you in disbelief. "you, a guard, is asking me if i'm okay? you saw what happened out there, right?" she frustratedly replied. "yea, i saw. that's why i'm asking." you answered. "well you don't need to know so if that's all you wanted to say, bring me back to the room." she crossed her arms glaring at you.

"okay, i will." you answered as you guided her back to the room. before closing the room up again you spoke. "see you soon" you said trying to sound nice. she stared at you and turned her back on you, walking away. you slightly smiled as you walked to the room where you would burn all the dead bodies.

you saw the black rectangle boxes with pink ribbons on it closed. you knew that all the dead players were in there and you just felt so bad. they didn't know they had to be killed. neither did you. you saw another guard with a square on his mask approaching you.

"what are you doing just standing there number 17? get to work!" he said scolding you. "sorry boss. won't do it again." you spoke. after you got a rolling tray and placed the boxes on top of it. you then opened one of cremulator's and slid the box in. you closed it and pressed the button that would activate the fire.

you did the same thing over again until all the bodies were gone. then the pa system turns on with the woman telling up guards that our work is done and that we can finally rest.

you sighed in relief knowing you could relax.
when you made it to your room, you took off your suit and put it aside. you plopped onto your bed and easily fell asleep.

you were half asleep but then your heard a gunshot which startled you, leading you to sit up from your bed. the image of the players screaming their lungs out and getting shot were playing in your mind. you took deep breaths in and decided to flip your pillow to the other side before falling asleep.

i guess you weren't going to be as relaxed as you thought you would be. but then again, who would be able to relax when they see a huge number of people die right in front of them?