Bits and Pieces

DIN'S POV

Caid was a sweet old man, and his nervousness caused Din to regret his previous violent outburst. Caid was particularly uneasy while he was assisting Din in the refresher, but eventually the old man calmed down over time. He even tried to strike up a conversation with Din by asking questions like:

"Where are you from?"

And....

"What do you do for a living?"

Din's usual response is to answer in single words or short phrases, like he would with anyone else. He hates small talk, but Caid has been quite respectful. Always asked for permission before doing anything, offered him as much privacy as he could, always had a smile on his face, and kept calling him Sir or Mr. Mandalorian, which he appreciated.

While Din sat on a chair inside the shower, allowing the hot water to drip down his face and chest, his brain began to wander. Unexpectedly, thoughts of Asra flooded his mind. He couldn't help but admire how she was able to lift him up so effortlessly off the floor, especially since he is much larger than her.

She's a total mystery and he underestimated her. The scars on her arms and hands, together with her strong will, tells him that she's no ordinary woman or healer. This only further deepened his intrigue. Moreover, the most confusing aspect of all this, is that he can't figure out if he enjoys her company or wants to leave and not come back. Yet she interests him. So much so that he has a deep desire to explore ways to pin her down to the nearest surface and show her what he's capable of. Suddenly his vulgar thoughts are got cut off by a gentle knock on the refresher door.

Once the old man helped him out of the shower, he was changed into a clean hospital gown, and his old bandages were replaced with new ones. To his surprise, he began to feel a bit anxious about seeing Asra again. His stomach fluttered and his heart was pounding with anticipation, but it wasn't a bad feeling. He felt like a kid who's about to receive a new toy. He wanted to see her. However, he knows she hates him. He remembers her saying that she doesn't want him here, which is probably a good thing. He should take a step back. He needs to start thinking of her only as a healer who's simply doing her job and nothing more.

Before he knows it, he's being placed into the bed with clean sheets and new bandages. As Caid says good night, he exits the room and Nia walks in as his heart suddenly skips a few beats.

—————————

The might of the Empire once spread across the vast star systems; even the Outer Rim felt it's impact. Believe it or not, the Imperial army has sent a platoon of troopers to every small, most distant, or poverty-stricken planet in their grasp. It was their way to persecute civilians and display their power, as well as to discourage any uprising from forming. Yet after the destruction of the two Death Stars, and the assassination of the Emperor, it has proven to everyone that their scheme didn't work.

Today, the New Republic is still in it's infancy as they try to make their way into the farthest territories of the galaxy. Planets in the Outer Rim are notorious for harboring bandits and pirates, and it's no different here on Felucia. Many who live on remote planets feel that the New Republic has deserted them, and that life has not improved since the Empire fell. Most civilians feel forgotten as their homes continue to be terrorized by Imperial remnants and criminal gangs.

In recent years, the New Republic sent out veteran soldiers to the most desperate locations, supplying them with urgently needed provisions. To enforce their control and offer assistance, marshals were placed in cities and towns as peacekeepers and law enforcement officers. In addition, mercenaries were often hired as a way to provide much-needed security and support for faraway planets. A guild was also established to provide authorization and advocacy for bounty hunters.