Chapter 17: Fear

John approaches Megan's room. He hears pop music playing from the other side of the door. He extends his arm and knocks on the door.
   Meghan answers, dressed in pajamas. She looks surprised. "Um, hi. I look like crap I know, I want expecting anyone." She says, trying to fix her fur.
   "Somebody, or a group of people, beat Kane up." John says, getting straight to business. Meghan looks at John, terrified.
   "Oh God, is he ok?" she asks.
   "They broke a rib and bruised him up pretty bad. Do you have any idea who did it?"
   Meghan looks at the ground, looking sick. "Yeah. Yeah I know who did it." she says, looking up from the floor and looking at John. "Duke. I had asked him to try and talk Kane into dating me. But..." She pauses. "I didn't know they'd hurt him."
   Duke. John knew exactly where to find him. "Thanks Meghan." He says, turning to walk out the door.
   "Wait. Is Kane at the hospital still?" Mahan asks.
   "Yeah. Go visit him seeing as how you sent a group of people to break him." John says harshly as he walks out of her room.
...
   Eric jogs over to John's front door. He knocks and waits patiently. John's mom answers the door, smiling. "Well hey. Are you from John's school?"
   "Actually, I'm not. Is John here? I need to ask him a question."
   "No, he's at the hospital. His boyfriend got beat up pretty badly." she says.
   Oh no. "Kane's... Hurt?" Eric asks, fear filling his eyes. He doesn't wait for an answer. He turns around and runs.
   He's running straight to the hospital. Kane is hurt, I've got to see him, he thinks. I want to see if he's ok.