Chapter 17

Corinne roused with the sun, and a distant rooster's crow. She was thankful for her Pappa sleeping on the couch. She was amazed her father had agreed to allow Ryne to stay with them. When he saw that Corinne would not let him go, he acquiesced. The only condition was that Corinne and Ryne not share the bed. Corinne, however, held his hand until she fell asleep. When she had a nightmare, he was right there, holding her hand again. At one point, she had been so upset, he held her until she was once again resting peacefully.

She walked to the window, observing the still quiet town before it came to life. She saw the blood on the street, causing an audible gasp of horror to escape. Suddenly, strong arms surrounded her waist. She leaned her head back, enjoying the comfort of his firm yet gentle grasp. 

Ryne looked back to see a still sleeping Arlen. He wouldn't dare take advantage of a woman, much less with her father in the same room, but he might try to kiss his fianceé. His fianceé; that was a strange notion. A strange yet wonderful notion, to be sure. 

He turned her around, smiling and kissing her forehead. "Good morning. I guess asking how you slept is a moot point. How do you feel?" He kissed her forehead again, waiting for her answer. 

"I'm not sure. I never rejoice in an untimely death. That being said, I'm glad it's over. I'm glad we both came through it alive. I hope he made peace with the Almighty as he was dying. He certainly tried with Sally and me. I don't know if I can attend his funeral, honestly. I think it wiser to stay away." A smile suddenly graced her features. "I'm certainly happy to be standing here with you. Kiss me, fiancée." Ryne willingly obliged.

*****~*****~*****

Arlen witnessed each and every scene. He could not sleep through his daughter's nightmares. When she was a baby, he was the one to go to her when she cried at night, bringing her to her mother. As a small child, he was the one she ran to when she had a nightmare or was afraid. No, he didn't sleep when she was troubled. He did, however, observe firsthand how much Ryne cared and how much she needed him. It was bittersweet, really. His baby girl didn't need him as much as she had when she was younger. Another man was her comfort and solace now.  

He would let the two of them be for a few more minutes before he let them know he was already awake. They needed privacy, but not too much. All he needed to know was when they planned to marry. Hopefully, they'd give it just enough time to get home, notify her brothers so they could attend, and maybe get her dress made. But, if they decided to get married as soon as they reached Colorado Springs, he'd be thrilled. 

He ran the list of things he needed to do through his head as he tried to ignore Corinne and Ryne. He had to get one last telegram to Maggie, and one to the Richards telling them about Matthew. They needed to get the horses and carriage back to Tom, and finally they would ride the train back home. Ignoring them didn't last long.

"Good morning, love birds!" He chuckled at their surprise as they jumped back from one another, obviously "caught." 

"Good morning, Pappa. How are you? Was the couch comfortable?"

"Not at all, Corinne, but I've slept on worse. How are you this morning?"

"I guess alright. Only time can heal this sort of thing. God will bring me through it."

"Let's go find some food. I'm famished!" Arlen exclaimed! He looked at Corinne. He didn't know if it was that she was standing next to Ryne, or the dress, but she looked thinner. She certainly could stand to eat a good full meal or two.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sally and Lottie were eating in the corner of the room. Corinne waved at them, and noticed Buddy heading right toward them.