Chapter 15 - Part 3/3

Ronan made a ride into town on one of Ryne's stud horses. He needed some supplies, per Stella's request. He also needed to pay a visit to an old acquaintance, Jonathan Richards. He neared the bank. He groaned inwardly.  They weren't really acquaintances as much as they were friendly rivals. It was a tension that spanned almost 30 years, and happened when Ronan and Stella married. 

Stella had shown interest in both men, and finally accepted his courting request. When he turned violent, she called it off. Three months later, Ronan and Stella married. Jonathan claimed that Ronan had stolen her from him. The truth didn't matter. They rarely spoke when he was still living in Colorado Springs. He made sure his land was paid off so he didn't owe the tight-fisted man anything. Their two boys seemed to be at odds with each other their whole lives, even though they had no reason to continue the feud. 

As he walked past the Telegraph office, happy in his own thoughts and memories, he overheard the clerk telling his boss about a recent message. 

"Corinne McAllister has been kidnapped by... Matthew Richards? According to other messages over the last few days, she was with Ryne Wilkinson." Ronan held his breath, attempting to hear the smallest of details. "Apparently they're in Boulder. Arlen McAllister sent a message this morning. Maggie took ill when he went after Corinne. The poor woman can't stand any more sadness in her life." His boss muttered something unintelligible. 

Ronan continued walking. What in the world did Ryne have to do with Corinne? And how did Richards' son factor in. He was sure the whole situation would soon be brought to light. He whispered a prayer for his son's safety.

* * * * * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * * * * * 

Buddy waited patiently for a response. He was ready to go in, guns drawn, to save Corinne. He remembered the woman in the Saloon. She was beautiful, even though her chosen profession made her undesirable to him. 

Ever since his wife, Elle, had passed away in childbirth, he figured he would be single forever, and so far, that held true. But the woman in the bright red corset dress and blonde hair wouldn't leave his mind. He wondered what course of life had led her to where she was and why on earth she needed to sell herself to survive.

He wanted to talk to her, but this situation was progressively worsening, and he couldn't at the moment. He watched her walk from the Saloon to the chapel, the young maid from earlier carrying her bag. 

Was she leaving? What could he do about it? He smiled and hoped that what he thought was true. 

He felt the adrenaline pumping in his veins as Arlen walked around the corner. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arlen looked at Ryne, who didn't know what to make of the whole situation. 

"Arlen." He whispered quietly. "I think we should go in and see what's going on. You wanna go 'round and tell Buddy to go in?"

Arlen only nodded and went to where the Deputy Sheriff was waiting for a signal of some sort. After the message was delivered, he went back to his soon to be son-in-law.

"Ready?" He whispered. 

"More than ready. Let's go!"