Chapter 11 (part 2)

Arlen stood up fast, looming over Ryne, who was half sitting - half reclining on his good side. 

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY ‘SHARED A BED’ WITH MY DAUGHTER?” The Sheriff and Deputy both startled awake at the suddenly thunderous voice of Arlen McAllister. The look of him, between moonlight and what little fire light was left, was very red and he looked like he was ready to cause serious harm to the man who thought he was doing the right thing by coming clean with him.

“Mr. McAllister; Ryne’s probably got some explanation. Please, calm down. Let him get it out.” The Sheriff’s attempts to calm down the irate father were futile.

“DON’T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN! IT’S NOT YOUR DAUGHTER!” He roared back.

Ryne tried to get up, but couldn’t. Buddy went to help him, but when Arlen looked at him, Buddy thought he saw murder in his eyes and decided to sit back down. 

“Arl...”

“That’s Mr. McAllister until I know my baby girl is still untouched.” Arlen cut him off in an almost inaudible tone, justifiably scaring the other three with his suddenly opposite reaction.

“Mr. Mr. Mc...McAllister.” Ryne stuttered, suddenly very afraid for his own well-being. “I promise you in front of God and everybody that compromising Corinne was the last thing I would ever do. I’m afraid to be completely honest with you, but, we did kiss ... a bit.” 

Arlen’s right fist curled two or three times, and his left was about to take and throw his pipe down so he could punch the man. 

“BUT, BUT, nothing else.” Ryne’s hand went up, hoping to assuage the still fuming father of his beloved. “We slept atop the blankets and quilts, I promise, fully clothed the whole night. Truly! I’m telling you, I love her! I love her with so much of me that I left my ranch to the workers, and a friend to pick my folks up when they arrived by train so that I could follow her. I had to know she’d be safe. And she was right up until this morning. It’s killing me, breaking my heart, that I didn’t keep her from Richards. It’s all I can do not to keep riding until I find her. I pride myself on being a strong and solid man. Corinne, sweet, dear Corinne has brought a completely different man out of me: a fierce protector, and apparently, a chicken when facing her father. Please, hear me when I tell you I would never harm her. She’s part of me, Arlen. If something happens to her...” His voice broke at the thought.  “I will hunt Richards down and do God knows what to him. And, if you can allow it, I plan on marrying her as soon as she is safe, well, and back in Colorado Springs.” 

Arlen didn’t say anything else, but nodded as he started to calm down. They would talk again, without an audience, and he most likely would consent, but for now, he’d let the man stew a bit. He realized that Ryne loved Corinne. He wanted to make sure Corinne felt the same way. He made himself as comfortable as possible on the bare earth and stared up at the stars until he was asleep. His last thoughts were of his beautiful wife and daughter. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

The wooden cabin, though large, was quaint. Corinne was given Hester Sue and Gerald’s boys’ bedroom for the night. The evening chores were finished. She even joined in their evening devotions. 

Now the house was dark, the fire was put out hours ago, and Corinne couldn’t sleep. She’d doused her own lantern and closed the book she’d been given when she asked if she could read. She lay awake, staring out the high window at the moon. She wondered where Ryne was. She even wondered how Tom was. She wished for her mother’s house, and her own bedroom. 

A deep sigh escaped her lips. She finally closed her eyes. As sleep took over her conscious mind, and she relaxed, she pictured Ryne’s smile, and his deep brown eyes. She could almost feel his lips brushing hers. 

“CRACK!” 

“What was that?” She whispered to herself a second after her eyes flew open. Not wanting to look out to see where the sound came from, she tried to calm her breathing and slow down her heartbeat so she could listen for it again. Instead, she heard a knock on the window. She certainly wasn’t answering that. 

“Corinne. Corinne, open the window, it’s Tom. Hurry! He’s coming. If I can get you out before he does, you’ll be safe!”

Corinne recognized his voice, but was still unsure if she should go with him. She looked out just a peak. It certainly was Tom, but he looked funny. She wasn’t sure what was wrong with him. She cracked the window open, hoping to speak to him first. 

“Corinne, there’s no time for talking. Just grab your clothes. I’ll help you climb out. Hurry. The carriage is waiting at the end of the drive. All we have to do is run to safety.” 

“Tom, I don’t think we should. I think waiting for morning will be wiser.”

“Look, Corinne. You’re so much like my daughter: independent ...  and that’s great. But I’m telling you now that he’s dangerous. He already tried to sneak out, thinking I was asleep, and I caught him in the act. Then we fought, and hard. He’s coming for you. This is the best chance to get away from him. You have to trust me on this one.”

With no time to put them on, she grabbed her boots and still damp dress, vowing to put the dress in her suitcase when she had a chance later, sucked in a deep breath, said a quick prayer, and went through the window. The two of them tip-toed around the building until they were in front before running at break-neck speed towards the carriage. Corinne was slower though Tom was heavier and bigger. He had long legs that made up for his girth. She was petite and not accustomed to running. Her bare feet were hurting from the rocks and sticks along the drive, and she was beginning to sweat. She kept running in an attempt to catch up with Tom.

She heard footsteps running behind her. She tried her best to run faster, but couldn’t. “Tom! He’s behind me.” 

Tom stopped, picked Corinne up in his arms, and continued running. As he reached the carriage, he placed her inside, and jumped up to his bench seat to drive. 

Corinne heard a “whoomp” sound followed by a loud thud and a grunt. The coach rocked for a second, and another loud thump landed in the dirt. The door opened, and Matthew smiled at Corinne. 

“Nice try, sweetheart. Now you’re responsible for two men dead. Ryne and now Tom! Let’s ride. Boulder’s only a few hours away, and I am an anxious bridegroom. Sit tight and behave and you won’t get hurt, got it?” With that he shut the door and jumped back into the driver’s seat.

“Giddy up!” She heard Matthew say right before they were in motion. She looked out at the large still frame of her new friend, and protector, and started crying.