Marriage

Silence and couple of utensils hitting each other was all you could hear in the dining room... until.

"Um..Father" Charlotte called the king, nervously picking at her cherry tomato.

King Leonidas grumbled at her interruption. "Don't play with your food then we'll talk"

"O-oh! Sorry about that father" Charlotte stuttered nervously, quickly  and carefully dropping her fork beside the plate.

"Talk"

"So um, you know that my 20th birthday is coming up, right?"

The king stared straight ahead, still chewing on the steak. "How could I forget about my children's birthday? What about it? You need more gifts?" He asks.

I stared at them, still surprised even how many times I've seen it. King Leonidas, a strict and harsh ruler still sent little appreciation to his children. He had sent them gifts and went along with their requests and wishes despite his harsh tone and glare, he had once said that he found it commendable when one stood up against their opponent.

Charlotte's face brightened at her father's mild mood. "I-I wanted to get married, father"

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Hey you, nanny. Did I hear wrong...? Or did my child just say... married? She want to get married?" King Leonidas turned his head to me yet kept his eyes on Charlotte whom shrieked down at his stare.

Gulping, I nodded my head. "You hear right, your majesty"

Silence went on for a minute. The fear and anxiety inside Charlotte bubbled and brewed.

"Charlotte"

"Y-ye-yes father?!" She squeaked in fear, gripping her gown in fear. She could feel her sight blurry from the tears that threatened to spill.

"...haa..." the king sighed, leaning against his hand on the table. "Fine, I'll search for a perfect nobleman for you"

The servants present including the royal children's eyes widen in shock. The king agreed to it?

"R-really father?!" Charlotte gasped, she had been planning that very request for a month now yet she thought that there'd be a high chance that the king would turn her down.

King Leonidas nodded before he stood up from his chair. The loud creak of the chair dragging across the floor filled the dining room. "I lost my appetite, I'll go to office early" he announced, walking past me.

The heavy footsteps turned duller as he walked far from the room. Once the door closed, Charlotte squealed loudly.

"Oh my GOSH!!-

"Charlotte!" Aira slammed her spoon down the table surprising the calm children.

"O-oh, sorry older s-sister...". Charlotte sat back down, not wanting to compete with the crown Princess.

Aira looked angry, her furrows furrowed as she bite he cheek. She seemed to hold in her dumping anger inside her calm demeanor.

Knowing that things would only get worse, I decided to step in.

"Attention, prince and princesses. The lunch will be over soon, you all might want to hurry up, you all don't want to burden the servants now, do we?" I clapped to get the attention on me, the tense atmosphere disappeared in a flash. "Hurry up so you go big and strong" I said as I walked behind their chairs.