They looked so peaceful together. McKenna didn't want to disturb either of them, so she gently eased the book from Loki's grasp, and then tugged the Frozen comforter up over both of them.

She smiled down. Frozen. It amused her that Aislinn was so head over heels about the movie about the princess who could freeze things with just a touch of her hand. Aislinn was only beginning to discover her gifts for magic, and making snow was the first thing Loki had taught Selig, so it was only proper he taught his daughter the same thing. So when Aislinn discovered Elsa and Frozen, she identified with the character almost immediately. Since then, Frozen had taken over Aislinn's room.

The comforter was both princesses-Elsa and Anna-along with their snowman friend, Olaf. As she smoothed the comforter, she wondered if that would be Aislinn and Kyra. It was entirely possible for Kyra to be like her mother in more than just appearance, but McKenna hoped not. Her children were already different from Midgardian children, she didn't want Kyra feeling like the odd man out in her own family when the time came.

As she flicked the light switch and the nightlight became the only glow in the room, she paused in the doorway to peer over her shoulder once more. Aislinn wasn't even two yet. She would most likely not remember snuggling up to her father and falling asleep with him as he read to her.

But McKenna would never forget the sight of father and daughter cuddled together. If little girls grew up to marry men who were like their fathers, Aislinn was a lucky girl. Loki wasn't perfect, but he was a good man and he did set a good example for what sort of man a girl should set her sights upon.

Her hand came down onto the cool wood trim of the doorway. Did she and her own father do this? She couldn't remember. She barely remembered any of her childhood with him. But they must have done something together. She knew she'd been a daddy's girl. At least, she thought she was. For so many years it was only her and her mother. But why couldn't she remember more of her father being around?

She sighed as she shook her head, and pulled the door by. As she padded back to her and Loki's room, she gave up trying to find a memory. There were none, good or bad. It was as if he ceased to exist once he and her mother split up. As if someone had wiped her memories from her, leaving her only with those of her mother and happier childhood times.

"What a creepy thought," she muttered, throwing herself face down on her and Loki's bed.

She didn't realize she'd dozed off until the floor creaked and her eyes snapped open. The room was dark and quiet.

The creaking sound came from the hallway.

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, McKenna slowly rolled over and sat up."Loki? Is that you?"

The creaking stopped and she waited for his low, "I didn't mean to startle you, love."

But only silence followed.

"Loki? This isn't funny." She reached over to switch on the lamp and eased out of the bed. Without making a sound, she crept across the room to the doorway and jumped out into the hallway.

A bright flash lit up the inside of her skull as she dropped to her knees, she saw the snap and flutter of a long black coat as someone hurried down the stairs before tears of pain blinded her.

In a fog, she got back to her feet, clutching the banister for support as the entire hallway swam before her. "Loki!"

"McKenna? What the-"

The hall light blazed bright overhead and she squinted, rubbing the goose egg rising on the back of her head. Loki crouched over her. "What's the matter, love?"

Coming Home (Sequel to This Time Around)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara