Chapter 1: New Neighborhood, New Life

Erin Greene has just moved to her new neighborhood, and even though some things seem the same when it comes to her daily routine, it is new when it comes to dealing with her extended family. With her (half-) brother, Anthony and (half-) sister, Samantha, she details the whirlwind of just starting a new day when it comes to eating breakfast and getting ready to leave for school. 

Erin is the oldest of her siblings and has to be the responsible one, even though she did not have a say in what would happen after her real parents split up. Now, she has been given the duty of caring for her younger brother and sister while dealing with her mom, Ana Maria, who appears to be getting hastier about leaving each morning. At 15 years old, though, a teenager like Erin wants to do whatever she wants to do, no questions asked.

Though she reminisces about time spent with her father, Michael and how her life seemed easier in Laguna Beach, Erin is confronted with her new life in Riverside, California. Perhaps it is due to missing her best friend, Minh or perhaps it is due to her mom rushing her and giving her all kinds of responsibilities, but Erin is having trouble adjusting to her new surroundings.