Chapter Seventeen

The rest of the day went by ever so slow. After Native taught me how to stay balanced on tilted roofs, he showed me how to jump from one roof to the other in record speeds. And let me tell you, the faux city lived up to its name. I fell over and over. None of them came close to my original fall.

By the time our training was over, I felt confident and a little hysterical. Like, if I wanted to, I could jump on top of Mount Everest, land on one foot, and jump back down without falling.  A ninja. Nothing could stop me.

When the sun set, we had the evening and night patrol. Native told me I had to turn off my glowing stripes, for the sake of blending in. At first, I didn't think I could turn it off, but after searching my costume thoroughly I found a button that turned them off. Of course I could turn off the light but NOT zip up my dress.

I've always been under the assumption crime thrived at night. But that's not at all the case. Criminals must believe in beauty sleep because nothing happened during the entire patrol. We just kind of sat on top of a roof, chilling. Not any talking (we were still embarrassed about what happened this morning), no humming, and definitely no phone.

After a mind-numbing time, Native's patrol shift ended and we headed back to the agency. He filled out a report of what we did today and sent me home. Of course, my driver was outside waiting. He had probably been there since midnight, the exact time Native's shift ended. That was an hour before I came out. I would have to convince Father to give him some time off after this.

He drove us back to our hotel rooms. He and Ms. Itsumi both had their own rooms (Ms. Itsumi's connected to mine) so I was responsible for getting to bed on time and making myself a late dinner. Simple tasks. I ended up just eating a few boiled eggs and a Coke from the mini-fridge.  Then, I texted Izuku but fell asleep before I got a response.

-

-

-

My mother seemed to be floating. But how? Her quirk didn't have anything to do with flying. It was the ability to erase memories. But even that was glitchy sometimes.

So, how was she lifted from the ground? My small feet carried me forward, deeper into the dark alleyway. A fact was teasing the edges of my mind. Something I knew, but just couldn't place. Almost as if Mom wasn't supposed to be here in general, let alone floating.

"Mommy," I called, staying back. Another mystery. Why aren't I in her arms? By her side.

But, my yelling didn't catch her attention. But it did bring three pairs of eyes to me. I didn't recognize the men, but Mom did. She smiled warmly, quite literally floating. She didn't look like she belonged. Her pastel yellow dress, the long blonde hair. The men were all gruff, fresh out of jail by their clothes. And yet, she fit right in between the three. Huddled in.

"Hey, my little angel. I need you to know mommy loves you. No matter what..."

Just like routine, I knew the next thing that was going to happen. As if it had happened a hundred times before. I turned around to find a tall, shadow man leaning over me.

I jolt up in my bed, gasping for air.  I hadn't had a dream like this in a while. And when I do, it's usually light and airy. Some warped, idolized version of my mother. But this... this was just a memory. The last I had of her, to be exact.

That day is always so absorbed with the end. But it had been a long day leading up to it. Mom was tired the entire day. For the last few weeks, she had been disappearing at night. While I was at school. Any time she wasn't directly in charge of me, she was gone. Father says it was a "manic episode" from her Schizoaffective. He stayed up late, worrying. But every time she would come home she would promise she was just with her friends. After her death, they searched her stuff. There was no evidence of these friends. No texts, emails, security footage.