Part title

CIVIL RIGHTS TRAINING FOR VOLUNTEERS WHO ASSIST WITH USDA FEEDING PROGRAMS

Goal of civil rights: Fairness and equality of treatment and benefit delivery for all people

• Discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, and disability is legally prohibited in nutrition programs funded by the USDA. Do not engage in or tolerate unwanted or unwelcome actions related to these protected classes. Report violations to program manager or state or federal oversite representatives (state and federal contact information listed below and posted in the pantry).

• You may not intentionally act in a discriminative manner toward any person. You may not neutrally watch another volunteer act in a discriminative manner toward any person.

• Maintain confidentiality. It is never appropriate to talk about who is receiving benefits. Never share information with others regardless of an expression of good intentions. Refer all requests for information to managers.

• If conflicts occur, remain calm. Call for assistance immediately if you feel threatened. Never hesitate to call for a third party to help resolve the situation.

• Advise people who allege discrimination about how to file a complaint. They may write to: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). In the Midwest Region they may also write to Regional Director, Civil Rights/EEO, 77 W. Jackson Blvd., FL 20, Chicago, IL 60604-3591 or call (312) 353-3353. Almost all complaints are referred to the Chicago office for investigation and are actually investigated by staff from FNS field offices located in the state where the complaint originated. (This information is posted in the pantry, if you need to refer anyone with a complaint to the USDA)

• You may not act in a retaliatory way to any person, or that person's family, if they file a discriminatory complaint against the feeding program.

• Remember our goal is to treat all people with dignity and respect.

Minor's Name (printed)

Parent or Guardian's Name (printed)

Parent or Guardian's Signature

Witness's Name (printed)

Witness's Signature

Date of Signature

• 9/7/2022
Date of Expiration