Roommates

It's been two weeks since Grogu and Din moved in with Luke and began training. Things started to fall into a rhythm. When Din would get up he would find Luke meditating on the veranda and make himself and Grogu some breakfast. He had offered to make some for the Jedi as well but he declined.

After that, he would return to his room to eat and then wake up Grogu, who enjoyed his meal a lot. Din had learned some cooking since they moved in there so the child could have some variety in his meals.

While he ate Din went outside and waited until Luke was done. "Grogu is awake." The Jedi got up and smiled at him thanking him for the information. "Are you sure you don't want me to make food for you too? It would be no trouble."

"Yeah, I'm alright. Thanks for asking though. I haven't had much of an appetite lately." Luke stood up. "My sister Leia and brother-in-law Han will come to visit us this evening. Sorry for not saying something sooner they sort of surprised me." He smiled apologetically. "If you want to I can still decline."

"No, we're guests here. No need to apologize, this is your home."

"Okay, I just don't want to make you uncomfortable." He put his hand on his shoulder. "Remember if you need anything or anything is bugging you just let me know."

Din took a moment before nodding.

Luke gave him a smile the other couldn't quite interpret. "Okay." They stared at each other for a few minutes both unsure of what the other was thinking until Luke cleared his throat. "I should probably go get Grogu for today's exercise. Gotta get something done before my family gets here." He went inside.

Din just went to his ship and tinkered with it. I really need some spare parts or a real repair.

When he was done he watched Luke train with Grogu. The Jedi laughed and hugged the kid whenever he did something right. He had been extremely patient with him considering the trauma he must have gone through when his memory went dark. Din felt weirdly warm when he saw him bond with Grogu. It was adorable? He wasn't sure what the right word was but he was just glad to see Grogu happy.

The kid came running up to him when they were done training. "Patuu!" He hugged his leg motioning for him to pick him up. Din obliged holding him while he played with his necklace.

"He's a great kid. You did a good job."

"I didn't-"

"Just take the compliment," Luke smirked and patted him on the back while walking past him. "I need to start cleaning up."

Din was unsure how to react but felt warm at the sudden compliment.

As the evening rolled around Luke was hurrying around the house cleaning the last few spots. Din was confused having never seen the other like that. "Don't you think you should calm down a bit? Aren't they your family?"

"Yes! That's the problem. They always get so worried about me, especially Leia, we're our only kin."

For some reason this hit Din a little too close to home.

Luke couldn't help but feel that the other was sad. He felt like he was intruding, so he decided to cheer him up without revealing he knew how he felt. "You gonna fit right in! Leia is gonna love you and grogu!"

This surprised and overwhelmed Din. He looked away making Luke regret his words.

Too fast skywalker. You've made him uncomfortable great move. "Sorry didn't mean to make this weird." Luke chuckled awkwardly.

"It's fine."

"I-" the door rang. "That must be them!" He hurried to open the door, relieved to escape the awkwardness, and as soon as he did his nephew ran up to him. "Hey there." Luke kneeled down to hug him. Chuckling he picked him up.