Epilogue

Two Months Later.

Do you remember when I said I'd apologized to Samira after I was discharged? Well...

I didn't.

I got discharged two weeks after my decision to make amends however, I was too scared to go after what I wanted, or should I say, who I wanted.

In the meantime, I filed an official case against Gerald and Harriet and a week ago, the first trial was conducted for the murder of my parents. They were both found guilty! The second trial and hearing was to take place today.

Feeling much healthier, physically and mentally, I had taken quality time to get dressed in my favorite suit for the day. By the time I had arrived at the court, everyone including my lawyer, the jury, the judge, the accused, the press and some other people I barely recognised, was already seated.

The whole process went by so smoothly as I had been assured by my lawyer that with all the evidence gotten, they would be locked away for a long time. I wasn't surprised when both of them were sentenced to life imprisonment for double cases of murder—my parents—and a case of attempted murder on my part.

As the police took them away, I caught sight of my uncle who still had that venomous and spiteful expression. I ignored him, of course. The battle was over and I would make sure both of them rotted in jail until the very end.

On my way out of the building, the press gathered around me, asking questions but I made remained mute until I got to my G-wagon, Phillip already standing by the door to usher me in. There was a woman next to him, she still looked the same, nothing had changed about her in the past two months. I seethed as I got close to her.

"What are you doing here?" I looked between her and Phillip who turned his gaze away, an act of formality to establish my privacy. I looked at the press behind and back at her. If I chose to leave her here, she'd be bombarded by the press who were already hungry for a piece of gossip.

"Get in!" I ordered and Phillip obeyed by opening the car door for both of us to get in. Once he had settled in the driver's side and started the car, I turned to the woman beside me and asked again.

"What are you doing here, Rose?" after she had chosen to trick me into swindling two hundred thousand dollars, she had the guts to face me? "You should be glad I didn't lock you up as I ought to." I added.

"You have every right to lock me up in jail and I'm thankful you didn't. Give me five minutes to speak with you and I'll be gone. Please." she all but begged. I checked the time from my Rolex wristwatch, noting it was just 1pm. I had a free day and was planning on spending it laying around doing nothing at home. I had employed new staff members and cleared away anything that reminded me of Gerald and Harriet.

"I give you five minutes!" was my response. I didn't miss her sigh of relief.

"Thank you. I came here for two reasons. First off, I wanted to apologize for what I did to you or for more precise words, what I would have done to you. I'm sorry Chiké. Please forgive me. I did it because..." I listened to her narration of how she had struggled to make ends meet for her twin sons and grandparents. As she explained, I was yet again humbled for my background. I never lacked anything as a child. God bless my parents!

And oh, did I mention, I had begun to pray? Five nights at the hospital and absolutely none to talk to, I had gone down on my knees and prayed. It was an elevating experience, one that brought me peace and the strength to carry on.

I zoned back to Rose's narration and plea for forgiveness, feeling an engulfing emotion of compassion.

"Why didn't you tell me the truth? I would have helped you voluntarily." the question had been one thing I thought about consistently. If she had told me the true reason she need such amount of money, I'd have wasted no time in giving her.