met you at the met

"a 28th of september story"

"to my lover"

♠ ♥ ♦ ♠

Taylor. It's been five years since I met you. That night, I honestly didn't think much of being there. The glamour, the stardom, the chaos— it was all too much for me. Of course, you handled it exactly the way you always handle things, which is with grace and elegance. You weren't feeling that way inside, but I didn't find that out until later.

As my eyes met yours that night, I remember seeing a flash of exquisite blue. You later on told me your eyes were an electric blue, with a tint around your iris. Apparently it's very rare, but that comes to no surprise for me, because you are the rarest and the most delicate woman I have ever met.

That night, I wasn't really expecting much of it. I was honoured to be invited, but I have to admit I might not have made the most out of it. I clung on to my co-stars as they mingled, hoping to somehow reach the head of platinum blonde. That happened, but I was then alone, downing an Old Fashioned.

You mocked my accent as I said hello, but to be honest, I wasn't offended in the slightest. To me, the British are a mockery anyways. I found it quite hilarious, actually. The accent could be worked on though. Then you asked me if I was single. I didn't reply— I couldn't bear to face you like that. All the sequins on your silver dress seemed to almost ridicule me, and I was intimidated by you. I was sitting down, and you towered over me, in those cross-ribboned high heels. They looked tight, and my calves clenched in empathy for yours. I didn't know your name— I was just a boy who came from drama school with no film out in the world, and celebrity gossip wasn't my thing, to say the least. You just had that air of royalty in you, and it seemed regal and graceful.

In fact, I was so intimidated by you that I didn't even get to ask for your name until the end. I vividly remember stuttering mine, but I may have said "All-wyn" instead. Now you know it's "Al-wyn", since you're one of us.

Maybe you were too drunk to care, or take alcohol out of the equation, maybe you didn't even care. Maybe you just asked for my name as a formality, but I guess I'll never know.

When you told me yours, it took me a few seconds to click. To your name, there was so much power, but to mine, there was at most an actor's ambition and a grounded life in the UK. I'm sorry for staring at you the way I did, you weren't just eye candy to me. I was just in shock. Then I connected the puzzle pieces and realised that your song was the first one I heard in the cab in LA. Bad blood. Obviously, I wouldn't tell you like that— it seemed fangirlish and embarrassing. So I just nodded. Play it cool, play it casual, play it nice.

But maybe I shouldn't have just nodded. Because just as I did, you waved at me and were whisked away by another gentleman, Tom. To us now, he's nothing. But back then, I was intimidated by the both of you. I couldn't argue with him to prolong our conversation, but maybe I could have entranced you with a dirty joke of mine, or a lame pick up line instead of nodding like an idiot. I really thought I blew my only shot at the Taylor Swift. I didn't know you preferred dry humour back then, even if you came off as extremely hilarious to me.

Then I watched you dance across the room with him, to one of those ridiculously popular hits of the year. The kind that popped up on every damn spotify playlist. I think it was "I Can't Feel My Face", but I'm not entirely sure anymore. You know what music I like— they're now your favourites too.

Then you and Tom became the centre of attention, bopping along and spinning around drunkenly to that song. You looked silly twirling about like that, but I found it amusing and cute. You always are. Now we dance to our favourite songs in the living room, almost trampling over our cats, and I wouldn't have it any other way. You're perfect.

When they stopped playing that song, the video of you two was all over the internet, but I didn't find out till later. This might be embarrassing for me, and you might tease me for it, but I always searched up that video when I missed you. Which was quite frequently, until you found your way back to me in the months continuing. Even if you were with another man, you managed to spark up my darkest nights.

Here comes the best part: I know you're going to laugh at me for it, but in a way, it happened to you too. I fell in love with you, I became infatuated with you. It was quite easy, really. What could I not love about you?

"There is a comfort in the strength of love;
'Twill make a thing endurable, which else
Would overset the brain, or break the heart"

I have a feeling you know this quote very well. After all, we share the same love for William Wordsworth poetry. From the moment I met you, I dreamt of taking you to the Lake District, a special place my parents took me to when I was younger. You felt special enough for me to share the place with you, and I speak as if I owned that place. You made things endurable for me, when they threatened to take me down. I think you've done that for many, but there's a special way you find to help everyone. You didn't know me, but you saved me. Joseph All-wyn, the man you met at the met.

It's been about five years since then. That's half a decade. Now you wear a ring on your fourth, but nobody knows, and I'd like to keep it a secret for now, like I gate kept the Lake District in my mind for all those years. Just lock it in an invisible locket and throw the key away, because this love is ours, and nobody else's. That's why I gave you this infinity bracelet. To show everyone I'm yours to keep, and yours to lose. It's me and you forever.

Our love is strong, I believe, and there is a comfort in it.

Love you to the moon and to saturn, all-ways.

Joe

a/n:
happy jaylor day guys!!! aaaa my babies i love them so much <333