Genesis

'Where does it come from?'

'This quest, this need to solve life's mysteries. When the simplest of questions can never be answered.'

'Why are we here? What is the soul? Why do we dream?'

'Perhaps we'd be better of not looking at all. Not delving not yearning. That's not human nature, not the human heart. That is not why we are here.'

꧁❃❃❃꧂

The bright sun shown over the horizon. India was hot this time of year. Boots clattered across the stone path as a blond woman made her way to a room. Her phone buzzed and she answered, already knowing who was on the other end.

"Peter? What's up?" Her voice was soft, yet her pace did not slow. She listened carefully to the voice on the other end, wondering why her friend had called.

"Hey Rose , how's the trip?" He started, obviously not trying to push to much. This made Rose smile, a concerned friend he was, but he didn't know half of it.

"It's fine, I'm grateful the hospital allowed me to take some time off to do this trip though. I may be able to get some answers." She didn't go into detail, she didn't want to. Saying it out loud was not going to help her. . . situation.

"Answers to what?" Peter seemed intrigued, curious why his friend went so far to take a trip to India to get some 'answers.' Rose didn't answer as she came up to her stopping point. She had stopped outside a room that had a few people going in.

"It's a long story. If I happen to find the answers, I'll explain them to you. For now, destiny is calling. I'll be back in New York within a week." The two friends said their goodbye, and Rose took a deep breath after putting her phone away. She adjusted her black gloves and stepped in the room, a lecture hall, and sat down comfortably.

The lecture started, led by a doctor. Doctor Mohinder Suresh. The class listened as the Doctor spouted off his believes in evolution and abilities. Rose squirmed in her seat, listening as he kept going, continuing.

"Man is a narcissistic species by nature. We have colonize the four corners of our tiny planet. But we are not the pinnacle of so-called evolution." He turned away from the world map, wandering the room as he glanced from person to person. "That honor belongs to the lowly cockroach. Capable of living months without food. Remaining alive headless for weeks at a time, resistant to radiation. If God has indeed made himself in his own image, then I submit to you that God, is a cockroach."

Mohinder leaned against a desk looking around the room. The group stared at him, before whispering among themselves, small laughs echoed slightly, about his crazy spewing. This causes Mohinder to sigh and continue pushing.

"They say that man uses only a tenth of his brain power, another percent and we might actually be worthy of god's image." Rose locked eyes with Doctor Suresh, who gave a soft smile as she held her breath. "Unless, of course, that day has already arrived." This made Rose pause. Does he know?

"The Human Genome Project has discovered that tiny variations in a man's genetic code are taking place at increasingly rapid rates." He turned away still looking to each people, seemingly compassionate about what he was talking about. "Teleportation, Levitation, Tissue regeneration. Is this outside the realm of possibility? Or is man entering a new gateway to evolution? Is he finally standing at the threshold to true human potential?" He seemed to stop suddenly, looking up at someone who entered the lecture hall. Rose glanced over to see another well dressed Indian, he doesn't believe him.