Chapter 1.3

It happens when he drifts off to sleep. Ron and the twins come to rescue him with a flying car and Harry is overjoyed.

Maybe this is it. He thinks with excitement. Maybe this is the day I leave them for good.

He listens with anticipation as Fred and George tell Mrs. Weasley about what they had seen.

"They were starving him, Mum!"

"There were bars on his window!"

She is clearly distressed at the information and smothers Harry in her embrace.

"Don't worry, Harry. Just sit down and eat breakfast with the others. You're safe now."

Safe.

Harry smiles widely and thanks her.

He should have known that adults always tell lies.

_____

"You mustn't blame yourself for the way the boy's turned out, Vernon. If there's something rotten on the inside, there's nothing anyone can do about it."

Harry bristles with anger at Aunt Marge's words, hating the way they stab at his insecurities. That he was born with something inherently wrong with him, something that made him unable to be loved.

He takes deep breaths and tries to calm down, but then the woman snidely insults his parents and Harry's self restraint snaps.

"You turn her back!" Uncle Vernon screams at him once Marge has floated out of sight, his face purple with rage.

But Harry has already grabbed his trunk and his wand is in his hands.

"Stay away from me," he threatens them in a low voice. Dudley cowers behind a chair and Aunt Petunia looks like she might faint.

He doesn't care.

No one is going to come and save him.

So he might as well take matters into his own hands.