Chapter 2 - Remembrance

Gestalt

Gestalt, by definition, refers to the form or shape of something and suggests that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There is an emphasis on perception in this particular theory of counseling. Gestalt therapy gives attention to how we place meaning and make sense of our world and our experiences.

_______________________

There were many grey clouds in the sky today. She expected it to rain again but it seems as if the sky was holding it all in, creating a rather gloomy atmosphere. Mizuki observed the laughing children, the sighing parents, the chattering friends and the old man on the bench. While they appeared only mere seconds in her life, to others they might be important. For example, the grinning girl with a messy bun and an ice tea in her hand may just be someone's daughter, sister and lover. Behind every person's eyes was an untold tale. A tale of happiness, struggle and maturing with every experience they made. Mizuki admired all these people, as they seemed to have found their place in life.

Just as she had once too.

"Mizuki-san?", the woman in front of her asked, noticing that she hadn't paid any attention to her whatsoever. Mizuki slightly startled, having been completely lost in her own world. She cleared her throat and looked back at the woman.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's alright, dear. I knew talking about this wasn't easy but you're making magnificent improvement. If anything at all, you should be proud of yourself."

"Easier said than done…", Mizuki lowered her head, wanting almost desperately to believe her.

The woman with blond hair and green eyes that were framed with a pair of round glasses was her therapist, Dr. Shiori Furukawa. She always insists on simply calling her Shiori, but Mizuki liked to cling onto that last shred of professionalism even as she had quite literally vomited once on the floor of her office. On that day, Mizuki had eaten something from Yuki for the first time. Her sister had been so proud of it, she just couldn't say no. To say the least, it definitely had been a mistake and after that she would always find excuses not to eat something that Yuki had cooked.
However, Mizuki never told her that as she didn't want to hurt her feelings.

Dr. Furukawa closed her notebook for the first time in this session, setting her eyes on the window just as Mizuki had prior.

"Before we come to an end today, I wanted to give you a little assignment. It will eventually become a topic in our future sessions, so I thought it would be best if you got familiar with it."

"It's called the "empty chair" method. It goes as follows: you sit facing an empty chair. In the chair, you picture a person with whom you are experiencing conflict. Then, you speak to the empty chair. You explain your feelings, thoughts, and understanding of the situation. After you’ve shared your side of things, you move to the other chair. Then, you respond to what you just said, from that person’s perspective, taking on their role. You may move back and forth between the chairs several times to continue the dialogue. Do you follow, Mizuki?", the doctor explained, firmly believing in this method. However, Mizuki herself wasn't quite convinced. She raised an eyebrow.

"Dr. Furukawa...you know, I've learned to trust your judgement a great deal since it's been almost a year now. But talking to an empty chair? Imagining to be someone you aren't? Aren't those behaviors of someone that's...you know...not really sane? Besides that, I don't think I really have someone with whom I have a conflict", in response to that, Dr. Furukawa took off her glasses and looked Mizuki straight in the eyes.