Chapter 20-Jessica

Sam impatiently tapped his foot on the floor as he stood just outside the door to Jess’ room. The doctor would come out any minute now to tell Sam that he was allowed to enter the room.

Dean stood right beside him, passing a slightly amused look to his younger brother at the eagerness in his expressions. But of course Sam would be eager to see Jess, and it was only when he remembered last night’s events that he noticed something. Where the hell was Sherry? She had probably slipped away when the doctor had been giving Sam and Dean a detailed report on Jess’ recovery, since that was the last time he’d seen her or Katherine for that matter.

But all was forgotten when the door finally opened and the doctor finally said that Jess’ was awake and ready to meet them.

When Sam entered the room, the first thing he noticed was Jessica. She looked beautiful, and she was glowing. She didn’t look as if she’d been in coma for the past day, instead she looked as if she’d never been hurt in the first place and she looked better than usual.

Jessica’s eyes immediately flickered to the door as it opened and she didn’t need to guess who would be coming through that door, she already knew. As she looked at Sam, and noticed the way his handsome face relaxed when it looked at her, she also saw a smile snaking its way across his lips. Most of all though, Jessica was surprised.

She knew that she’d been in coma and the doctor had told her about her internal bleeding but how had she recovered from all of this? The doctor had checked her now and had told her that he could not find a single thing wrong with her. It seemed like all of her other bruises, scratches, scars and injuries had been healed as well. She thought about the possibility of a full recovery, plus the extra damage that had been healed and wondered about what could have caused this. She shuddered as several answers flashed in her mind, none of them were pleasant.

Sam went to sit down next to Jessica’s bed, not taking his eyes off of her and misunderstood her shudder.

“Hey,” Sam said to Jessica, “Are you feeling cold?” He put his arm around her and pulled her close to him to make her feel warm.

“No, I’m fine,” Jess replied but cuddled in closer to him and turned her face towards him. She stretched herself towards him, planning on giving him a quick, romantic kiss on the lips and was taken by surprise when he kissed her back deeper and more passionately. She hadn’t expected him to respond like this, especially when his brother was with him. But she didn’t pull away.

An hour into our journey, when Katherine finally agreed that we were far enough from the hospital to not turn back, I decided to call Sam’s cell phone.

I could feel my heart beating harder and faster in my chest as I heard the familiar ringtone of Sam’s phone. ‘Please don’t pick up the phone, please don’t pick up the damn phone!’ I thought.

But of course somebody picked up the phone and surprisingly though, it wasn’t Sam.

“Hello,” I heard Dean’s voice say and swallowed the lump in my throat as I realised how hard this conversation was going to be.

“Umm…hey,” I said softly.

“Sherry, where the hell are you?” I heard Dean asking and immediately felt like running back to the hospital.

“I’m…um...not at the hospital,” I replied.

“Yeah, I figured,” he murmured, waiting for me to answer my question.

“So what’s going on over there? How is Jess and how’s Sam?” I asked, changing the subject.

“They’re…better than ever,” Dean sounded smug and proud.

“What?” I asked, not getting the hidden meaning between his words.

“They’re making out in the hospital room,” Dean stated and I almost choked, hearing Dean’s laughter when I made puking noises.

“Geese, I didn’t need to know that,” I told him.

“Course you did,” he chuckled.

“And where are you?” I asked him.

“Outside,” he said, “Checking out all the hot nurses.”

“Of course you are,” I muttered rolling my eyes at the phone, “I wonder what Kat has to say about that.” I glanced at Kat, curious to see her reaction when I teased her with Dean.

“Do you know where Kat is?” Dean suddenly asked.

“I’m right here sweetheart,” Kat spoke into straight into the phone.

“She’s with you?” Dean asked, but he didn’t sound surprised.

“Yes, she is.”

Just before Dean could say what he wanted to, I heard Sam’s voice yelling from a distance.

“Dean! For god’s sake, could you stop stealing my god damn phone and give it back to me right now!” It wasn’t a question.

I suddenly heard some voices in the background that I couldn’t make out and then heard Sam’s voice on the phone, “Sherry?”

“Hey, Sam,” I replied and started to feel really nervous.

“Where are you?”