Chapter 5

Adira knew she was pushing her luck, but it seemed to be all she could do.

After coming home from helping her mother with chores. Adira stayed home for the remainder of the afternoon doing small chores around the house. However, when nighttime fell once again, Adira sneaked out from her home to the shore near the palace. She would not enter the palace again because she knew the next time she tried to, there was no coming out.

Instead, she sat on the sandy beach watching the night sky. Basking in it, as if it was daytime. She loved to just look up and see the thousands scattered stars in sky, and the big, bright moon.

The night was warm. It was the start of the hot days, and warm nights. Adira lived for it.

Adira removed her worn shoes and let the sand tickle her toes. She lowered herself to laid on the sand and looked up at the sky. She talked to it. To the night, to whoever was up there and listened to her babbling as they always did and never shared her secrets.

"Forgiving me for being selfish. For not thinking before acting. For the bitterness I felt. However, thank you for letting me experience the night and all the wonders we do not see during the light. Thank you to that star shining bright." Adira pointed to the bright star shining above her.

Her mother told her that sometimes if you look hard enough you could see the shapes the stars formed. Each telling a story. With a smile Adira looked at the sky and looked for all the shapes in the night.

While most people would fear the night, Adira found a haven in it. She stayed until the early morning. Unknown to her that a dark figure that stood staring from a distance at her.

********

For the following nights, Adira walked beach by the palace and just sat to watch the night sky. Something, she knew she could do at her home, but the unexpected pull that kept her coming each time to the palace. It could be the prince she yearned to see, but she never got a glance at him. Maybe if she never got another look at the prince, she would always come to this place because it had become her place.

Coming here night after night, vacant of anyone, and anything. It was no surprise to see such emptiness on this side of the palace, no one ever dared to come here.

Except, today seemed to be the exception.

There was someone sitting in her spot.

Adira stopped to observe the stranger. To far to be able to distinguish any features.

Adira did not make the smart decision to turn around and go home. Instead, she kept walking closer to the stranger sitting in her spot. She stopped once she was but a few feet from the stranger.

The sound of her feet hitting the sand must have alerted the stranger of her presence because the stranger looked up.

Air seemed to be sucked out of her.

A strangled cry escaped her mouth as she stared down at the prince. Right in front of her. Clearly, she was stupid because instead of running in the opposite direction, she continued to stare at the prince. Whom stared back at her. Adira watched as different expressions hit the face of the prince.

Startlement.

Confusion.

Finally, recognition.

"You."