Chapter 10

"Do you know what will happen the day you turn twenty-two?" Adira could no longer hold in her curiosity. After coming home drenching wet, Adira could not help but wonder what would happen the day Maximus turns. All night her head kept coming up with different ideas. Would he still be the same? Would he not? Would he remember her?

The questioned kept beating on in her head. She had resolved the issue with the promised she would ask him tomorrow night. As the day went on, Adira had conjured up a million questioned she wanted to ask, instead, she went with one.

"Do you?" Adira asked again. Today, they had decided they would go to the north side of the island, not where the other descendants lived, but further north. Maximus had not asked her, but taken her hand and led her. Adira did not complain, nor questioned him, but simply followed him. They walked past the temples, past the homes of the descendants, and into the forest. They ventured into an area that was vacant of any mortal, or immortal to be, the mountains were far to difficult for anyone to live, but she suppose a reclusive would find comfort in the lonely, dark mountains. They kept on walking, with no intention of stopping.

"No, I do not know." Maximus tugged on her arm.

"Are you not scared?" Adira walked behind Maximus, the trees making it difficult for her to beside him.

"No, I am worried."

"Of what?"

Maximus had not answered her question, instead they kept walking, Adira was close to stopping, they had been walking for so long.

They stopped. Adira stepped from behind Maximus, all she could see was the endless sky. So close, she could almost touch it. Adira tugged her hand free of Maximus, and walked until the ground creased to exist. Looking down, all she could see was the a small strip of land, and the endless sea. A few ships, swayed to the motion of the sea, but not a body could be seen.

Maximus walked until he stood beside her, and lowered himself to sit on the cliff. Adira was hesitant to follow, but he offered his hand for her to take. Slipping her hand in his, she lowered herself too.

"The unexpected." Maximus said suddenly.

"What?" Adira turned to face him.

"I am worried for the unexpected, of what will come, what will change. That is what I am afraid of."

Adira wished she had the power to lessen his worry, but what more can she do than offer her comfort. Keeping his hand in hers, Adira enclosed his hand with both of hers. She had no words to offer him, but would hope for the best.

********

"Are you prepared to live forever?" Again, Adira had questions that only Maximus could answer.

Tonight, they made no move to go elsewhere.

When Adira had arrived at the beach, Maximus was nowhere to be seen. Adira had taken position at the edge of the water, waiting for him to arrive. The water pushed until it was at her fingertips, idly it danced around her fingers, and retreated into the great unknown.

Adira twirled the water while it was still at her fingers. Picking up the watery sand, she held it in her hand before slowly dropping it back with the other grains of sand.

Adira felt him, before she saw him. Like a low energy trying to break to the surface. Adira turned to find Maximus walking towards her. She smiled at him, he returned one of his own. He came to sit beside her.

Adira watched his face as she always did, hoping she could see deeper. She felt as if there where time when he appeared to hold himself back, like things he wanted to say that he could not. His birthday was fast approaching, she wondered if his worries were slowly killing him. He told her he trained during the day; was he truly ready for the changed that were coming?