The beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid!

*Sarah Pov*

I sat waiting. That’s all we could do now was wait. Aragorn had gone restless, I had to stop him several times from running to Gondor’s aid. Gimli mainly grumbled in the corner. Merry seemed to stay rather quiet and practice his sword fighting skills. Legolas and I had gotten closer, which was good but also bad. I was falling in love with him harder. I wanted to be with him so badly, but I couldn’t let my father hurt him because I was foolish to put my feelings in the way.

It was probably the third day since Gandalf had left with Pippin as I sat out in the morning on the steps outside the Golden Hall, looking up at the rocky peaks high above Edoras. I suddenly rose to my feet as I saw the great beacon fire come alight as I sprinted into the halls, bursting in unannounced everyone stared at me.

“The beacons of Minas Tirith! The beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid!” I shouted as Aragorn jumped to his feet staring at Theoden, who looked startled. Everyone stared at Theoden waiting for an answer as I felt my shoulders drop. He lowered his head, as I kicked the ground. He slowly raised it again and met Aragorn’s eyes.

“Then Rohan will answer. Muster the Rohirrim!” Theoden shouted out as a huge smile spread across our faces. I raced over to Aragorn and pulled him into a hug as he spun me around.

“Finally” He whispered happily as we heard the bell ringing out in alarm outside. We raced out as the courtyard was filled with soldiers mounting their horses.

 “Assemble the army at Dunharrow - as many men as can be found. You have two days ... On the third, we ride for Gondor ... and war!”

“Gamling, make haste across the Riddermark ... Summon every able-bodied man to Dunharrow!” Theoden shouted out. I watched as the soldiers prepared for battle. I looked over to see Eowyn pulling on riding gloves and was about to mount her horse when Aragorn walked over.

“You ride with us?” Aragorn asked her.

“Just to the encampment. It's tradition for the women of the Court to farewell the men.” She replied as I saw Aragorn smile and nodded.

“The Men have found their Captain – they will follow you into battle, even to death. You have given us hope.” She told him as Aragorn gave a weak smile and left her be, as we got ready for our own horses. I jumped on the back of Legolas, as I wrapped my hands around his waist and placed my head on his shoulder. He smirked and chuckled.

“Comfortable?”

“Yes” I replied smiling. Gimli got on the back of Aragorn’s horse, as I saw Merry on his pony. Theoden glanced around the streets and people of Edoras as if he already knows he won’t be back here again.

“So . . . It is before the walls of Minas Tirith that the doom of our time will be decided.” I heard him say.

“Now is the hour! Riders of Rohan – oaths you have taken. Now, fulfill them all – to Lord and land!” Eomer shouted out as we all started to ride out thundering towards Dunharrow in the mountains.

*******

We galloped into a vast camp beneath the cover of the threes in Dunharrow. It was dusk as I glanced around, men, horses and tents flooded over the dying grass.

“Grimbold, how many?” Theoden shouted out

“I bring five hundred men from the Westfold, my Lord.” He called back out.

“We have three hundred more from Fenmarch, Theoden, King.” Another spoke to him as I watched the men, they had courage but their fear was evident in their eyes. I glanced over at Theoden who smiled grimly before he rode on as we followed, I glanced over my shoulder as the men stared at me.