The Battle of Helm's Deep

*No One Pov*

An army of Lothlórien Elves march up the Causeway into the Hornburg. They are led by Haldir, and a mysterious Rider riding on a black stallion. A black cloak hood drawn, preventing the face from being seen. The Rohirrim soldiers look upon them in wonderment and delight as they pass.

“How is this possible?” Théoden asked in awe.

“I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between Elves and men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.” He smiled. As he looked up to see Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli running down the steps. Aragorn Bows.

“Mae govannen, Haldir. (Welcome, Haldir)” he smiled as he pulled Haldir in a huge embrace. Initially stunned, Haldir hugs him back lightly.
“You are most welcome!” Aragorn smiled. Legolas and Haldir clasp each other on the shoulder, in an Elvish greeting.

“We are proud to fight alongside men, once more.” Haldir spoke as he addressed Théoden.

“Besides, I have someone who would kill us all if we went back on our allegiance” He smirked, as he walked over to the mysterious rider, and helped them down. They knew it was a woman by the way he helped them off the horse. The rider ripped back their hood, as the cloak fell off their shoulders as the others gasped.

“Hello boys”

*Sarah Pov*

“Hello boys” I greated, as Legolas ran to me and pulled me in a hug as I chuckled and hugged him tighter. He nuzzled my neck as I kissed his cheek. He finally pulled back, as I gave Aragorn and Gimli a hug.

“But the fall?” They asked as I turned to Haldir.

“It should have killed me. Thanks to Haldir, I am in one piece as I woke to find myself in the company of Lady Galadriel and Haldir.” I explained.

“This is yours” Legolas smiled as he placed my crown on my head. I thanked him as he smiled back at me. I could see one thing behind his eyes. Love. I shouldn’t love, it’s wrong for me to love. He will be endangered. But I can’t help it. Because I love him too. I was dressed in my armor for war:

My sword by my side, and my arrow and bow on my back. I walked along Helm’s Deep to see the young and old all frightened. I walked over to a young boy who looked like he would burst into tears. I knelt down to him as I placed a hand on his shoulder. He looked up as I gave him a soft smile and removed the tears that had escaped.

“Don’t cry, we have hope and faith. You will see your mom soon” I told him as he nodded. I got to my feet as I walked on towards the battlements. We took our positions as Men and Elves stood side by side on the battlements of Helm’s Deep. The sounds of a marching army move closer and closer. We looked out into the darkness, lit by the thousands of torches carried by the huge advancing Uruk-hai army and the light bouncing off their armour. I felt my arm glow and tingle as they kept coming closer. With a row of Elf archers, Gimli is standing beside Legolas behind a wall, only the top of his helmet visible. I chuckled as I walked over. Gimli was grumbling and straining to look above the wall.

“You could have picked a better spot.” He snapped at Legolas. Legolas smirks. Aragorn approaches and stands beside us as I chuckle under my breath.

“Well lads, whatever luck you live by, let’s hope it lasts the night.” He told us as I smirked.

“They won’t know what hit them” I smirked as they laughed. Thunder sounds and lightning flashes, revealing the sea of approaching Uruk-hai. The rain begins to fall down hard as I looked over at Legolas. He looked at me, as I smiled. He smiled back before we returned our gaze to the approaching army.

“Your friends are with you, Aragorn.” I told him as he smiled at me.

“Let’s hope they last the night.” Gimli added. The marching and thumping grows louder and louder. Lightning flashes as the rain fell harder. My hair was soaking, but I didn’t care! While the Uruk-hai army continues to march at the fortress, an Uruk-hai leader steps on a rock outcrop. Aragorn left my side and walked along the battlements shouting out and giving commands to the Elf warriors.

“A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas! (Show them no mercy! For you shall receive none!)” He spoke as the Uruk-hai leader raises his swords and commands his army to stop with a terrifying animalic cry. The Uruks stop and growl in anticipation of the upcoming battle and slaughter. I snarled and hissed. Gimli beside me was jumping and straining to see what was going on.

“What’s happening out there?” He demanded.

“Shall I describe it to you?” He spoke as he looks at Gimli with a grin

“Or would you like me to find you a box?” He asked cheekily as I started to laugh. Gimli joined me as we laughed. The Uruk Leader cries out once, encouraging the Uruk-hai to start roaring and thumping their spears furiously. Suddenly, an arrow was released by an older man by accident as it prematurely, shooting an Uruk-hai in the neck.

“Dartho! (Hold!)” I shouted out. The Uruk-hai army stop their roaring and thumping. With a hollow groan, the Uruk that was shot collapsed to the ground. The other Uruk-hai bare their teeth and roar with anger. With a cry, the Uruk-hai leader thrusts his weapon in the air and the Uruk-hai army starts charging. I took my cue, as I jumped standing on top off the wall as Legolas and Gimli gasped. I saw the Uruk-hai Orcs freeze as they looked up.

“IT’S THE PRINCESS OF MORDOR!” they cried out a few panicked and tried to back away but the Uruk Leader shouted at them as I heard a few gasps probably from Théoden and his men. I began to sing this: play it whilst reading:

*No One Pov*

What the people suddenly felt as Sarah sang was strength. She was giving them Hope and they could all feel it. The army of men somehow knew the words as they joined in as the Uruk-hai Orcs, tumbled in confusion. The ones closer that could hear her turned to face the army, and began to destroy one another. But it was only a thousand if they were lucky that killed each other. When the song finished, Sarah held her hand to the sky and her sword pointing towards army, she murmured in Black Speech as lightning struck her hand and channeled through her sword and blasted a group of Uruk-hai Orcs.

“Tangado halad! (Prepare to fire!)” Sarah shouted. The Elves notch their arrow and aim.

“Faeg i-varv dîn na lanc a nu ranc. (Their armor is weak at the neck and beneath the arms.)” Legolas called out as Sarah looked down at the frightened Uruk-hai Orcs looking up at her. They were scared she would do more, only to have to jump back to avoid an arrow to the chest landing beside Legolas.

“Leithio i philinn! (Release the arrows!)” Aragorn shouted out as arrows rain down on the Uruk-hai below, killing many.

“Did they hit anything?” Gimli asked.

“Give them a volley.” The king spoke to Gamling as he nodded and shouted towards the men.

“Fire!” He shouted

“Fire!” They shouted in response as more arrows are released. But the Uruk-hai army keep advancing, with more replacing those fallen.

“Fire!” Sarah shouted out as her eyes turned black as she focused on the army below. Sarah had destroyed at least two thousand, of the Uruk-hai Orcs, and those who were in range of hearing her words to kill one another did.

“Send them to me! C’mon!” Gimli spoke impatiently as the Uruk-hai start to load ladders onto the walls, pushing them up with their long spears. Sarah pulled out her sword.

“Pendraid! (Ladders!)” She shouted to the elves. The Elves draw their blades in preparation for combat. The first ladders are almost reaching the walls with big nasty Uruk Berserkers on top of them. It snarled and I hissed.

“Swords! Swords!” Aragorn called as Gimli jumped with excitement.

“Good!” He yelled as the combat begins as the Uruk-hai climb over the wall. Sarah fought easily; they were hesitant around her, manly by her eyes. So she didn’t tire fast.

“Legolas, two already!” Gimli spoke as he held up two fingers. They had begun their counting on who would win the fight on who killed the most.

“I’m on seventeen!” Legolas boasted as Gimli snarled.

“Argh! I’ll have no pointy-ear outscoring me!” He shouted in outrage as he turns to a Uruk just climbing over the wall, whacking it in the groin with his axe and killing it as it falls.

“Nineteen!” Legolas shouted out as he released two arrows.

“Stop fighting against each other Ladies!” You could hear Sarah shout out annoyed as she fought hard. She helped where she was needed, but it was difficult when she was needed everywhere….Gimli is standing on the wall between two ladders, hacking away at Uruk-hai as they come up.

“Seventeen! Eighteen! Nineteen! Twenty! Twenty-one! Twenty-two!” He kept counting as Sarah glanced over to the Uruk-hai below. A group of Uruk-hai is advancing on the Causeway towards the gate in tortoise formation, using their broad shields to block off attacks.

“Na fennas! (Causeway!)” She shouted as she pulled out her bow, directing the Elf archers to aim at the Uruk-hai column. Never missing Sarah and the Elf archers release their arrows. The Uruk-hai at the sides are shot and fall down the Causeway. But the column keeps advancing.

“Is this it? Is this all you can conjure, Saruman?” Théoden shouted out, as Sarah rolled her eyes. He wasn’t doing anything. Whilst his men were dying around him. A Uruk-hai Orc jumped down from the ladder, as she in a swift movement, placed her bow on her back and drew her sword blocking the blow. At the bottom of the Deeping Wall, two spiky bombs are lodge in the sluice gate. The rest opens a path and an Uruk-hai carrying a torch starts to run towards the sluice gate. Aragorn spots the Uruk-hai.

“Togo hon dad, Legolas! (Bring him down, Legolas!)” Aragorn shouted out slightly frightened as he stabbed the Uruk-hai Orc Sarah was fighting and pointed. Her eyes grew black once more, as the Orc hesistated but kept running. Legolas shoots the Uruk-hai in the shoulder but the latter keeps going.

“Dago hon! Dago hon! (Kill him! Kill him!)” Aragorn shouted out again. One of the Orcs from behind him started to shoot him with arrows, as Sarah couldn’t get him to stop as she realised he was made with no ears preventing him from hearing her.

Legolas shoots the Uruk again. It stumbles and then throws itself and the torch at the bombs. An enormous explosion is set off, blowing away a large part of the wall. Rock, debris and bodies are thrown up. Aragorn is also thrown back by the force of the explosion and on the ground, knocked out. Sarah screamed as she fell down, towards the gravel, unable to move. Her eyes closed as she felt her head pound.

“SARAH!” Legolas screamed out for her, but she couldn’t hear. Everything was blurring. Théoden looks on in shock as the Uruk-hai streams in past the Deeping Walls.

“Brace the Gate! Hold them! Stand firm!” Théoden shouted out. Gimli sees the Uruk-hai charging in with Aragorn and Sarah in their path. With a cry, he jumps down from the wall and lands on the Uruk-hai army, taking them out as he stands.

“SARAH!! Aragorn!! Argh!” He cried out but he was soon overpowered. Aragorn gets up and sees Gimli falling. Aragorn and see’s Sarah against the ground not moving as his heart stopped.

“Gimli! Sarah!” He shouted as he turned to the Elves behind him.

“Hado i philinn! (Hurl the arrows!)” He cried again. As he took this time to run to Sarah’s side, shielding her from any Orc that came close. The
arrows take out the first group of Uruk-hai coming through the hole in the wall.

“Herio! (Charge!)” He called out again as Aragorn leads the Elves in a charge towards the Uruk-hai streaming in. He rushes to Gimli’s side and picks him up. At the top of the battlements, Legolas grabs a shield and sends it sliding across the ground. He then hops onto it and surfs down the steps, releasing three arrows as he goes, and kicking the shield to stab an Uruk-hai as he lands at the bottom.

“Aragorn! Fall back to the Keep! Get your men out of there!” Gimling shouted to him. Meanwhile Sarah, weakly pushed herself to her feet as she held her sword weakly. She looked around, her ears buzzing, her vision doubled. She took in a deep breath, as could hear Aragorn shouting out.

“Na Barad! Na Baraad! Haldir, na Barad!  (To the Keep! Pull back to the Keep! Haldir, to the Keep!)” She turned towards Haldir. Haldir nods and turns back. Gimli is being carried away, kicking and struggling as he goes.

“What are you doing? Argh! What are you stopping for!” Gimli shouted out protesting. Sarah felt her eye sight return, as she fought against the Orcs that ran to her to kill her. Legolas was trying to find Sarah, but couldn’t spot her anywhere. Sarah was struggling, she felt a pain in her side from the fall, and she had a cut of her forehead that slowly dripped golden blood.

Meanwhile, Haldir hacks at a few Orcs as he turns round towards the gate when he is suddenly stabbed in the arm. With a grimace, he kills the Uruk-hai and looks down as his wound in seeming disbelief. An Uruk-hai comes up from behind him unnoticed and slices him on the neck. As Haldir goes down, he looks around him and sees his kin fallen among dead Uruk-hai.

“HALDIR!!” Sarah shouted as she runs up the steps to Haldir’s side and catches him and he collapses.

“Haldir no!” She whispered as a tear rolled from her cheek. He gasped as he brushed the tear away.

“You have always been a sister to me. I’m sor—r” He couldn’t finish as Sarah felt the tears fall harder. Haldir's head rolls back, his eyes empty and unseeing. Sarah bows her head in grief. Then with a cry, she slams her sword into the stone, as a gush of wind knocked out five hundred Orcs around her dead. The tears were coming down harder, as she was forced to leave his side. Anger filled her, as her eyes were black frightening the Orcs. She was growing tired from making her eyes black without using any of her powers. It was a tatic Lady Galadriel told her to use. And it was working and scaring the Orcs around her.

“Brace the gate!” Gamling shouted.

“Hold them!”

“To the gate! Draw your swords!” Théoden shouted as he drew his swords and ran to the gate. Théoden and his commanders come to the gate, which is under heavy attack. The Uruk-hai are knocking down the gate and hacking through the broken wood. Théoden stabs at an Uruk-hai and receives a lance in his shoulder, blocked by his armour. Grimacing in pain, Théoden continues to stab at the Uruk until led away by Gamling.

“Make way! We cannot hold much longer.” He told the King.

“Hold them!” Théoden shouted out. I run up and stabs away at the Uruk-hai through the broken gate

“How long do you need?” Aragorn asked.

“As long as you can give me!” Théoden pleaded, as he nodded.

“Gimli! Sarah!” He called as we raced after him.

“Timbers! Brace the Gate!” Théoden shouted out. Aragorn, Sarah and Gimli slip out a side exit and stand on a ledge just to the side of the main gate. Aragorn peeks over, seeing the large band of Uruk-hai storming the gate.

“Come on! We can take ‘em!” Gimli encouraged.

“It’s a long way.” Aragorn told him as Gimli takes a peek and then steps back.

“Toss me.” He mumbled

“What?” Sarah asked him, as Gimli rolled his eyes.

“I cannot jump the distance! You’ll have to toss me!” He spoke annoyed. Aragorn nods slowly and then turns to grab the Dwarf.

“Oh! Don’t tell the Elf.” He pleaded as Aragorn looked up at Sarah.

“Not that one!” Gimli hissed as Sarah laughed.

“Not a word.” Aragorn promised then he tosses Gimli to the head of the Causeway. He went to throw Sarah over by her waist as she winced.

“Sarah? Your hurt”

“No, not now” She pleaded as he helped her jump and then leaps over himself.

“ARGH!!” Gimli called out as he started to attack the Orcs. Men are bracing the gate with wood and nails. Aragorn, Sarah and Gimli continue to fight off the Uruk-hai just outside. Meanwhile the Uruk-hai load and fires enormous hooks over the battlements. Hundred of Uruk-hai climb onto super-ladders as they are pulled up towards the walls, the super-ladders locking onto the edge of the battlements with their steel grips. Legolas takes aim as another super-ladder is being pulled up and shoots away one of the ropes. The ladder falls back onto the Uruk-hai army.

“Gimli! Aragorn! Sarah! Get out of there!” Théoden shouted to them. Legolas calls to them from the top of the battlements

“Aragorn!” He shouted as he throws them a rope. Aragorn grabs Gimli  as he pulls him to the rope. He grabs Sarah who winces from the pain in her side,in one hand and the rope with the other as they are pulled up the wall. Just then the Uruk-hai load and fires enormous hooks over the battlements. Hundred of Uruk-hai climb onto super-ladders as they are pulled up towards the walls, the super-ladders locking onto the edge of the battlements with their steel grips. Legolas takes aim as another super-ladder is being pulled up and shoots away one of the ropes. The ladder falls back onto the Uruk-hai army.

“Pull everybody back! Pull them back!” Théoden shouted

“Fall back! Fall back!” Gamling shouted over the noise of war.

“They’ve broken through! The castle is breached. Retreat!” Théoden calmed alarmed.

“Fall back!”

“Retreat!”

“Hurry! Inside! Get them inside!” Aragorn called, as he Sarah had her arm wrapped around his shoulder, as he helped her inside. She winced with every step. Her pain was throbbing. She had never experienced anything like it before, except that one time when her Sarah poisoned her.

“Into the Keep!” Théoden shouted. They all run towards the keep, Legolas firing two arrows into the Uruk-hai army as he goes. Banners of the White Hand are flying from the battlements of Helm’s Deep. The Hornburg is overrun with Uruk-hai. Théoden and company are in the hall of the keep.

“The fortress is taken. It is over.” Théoden spoke defeated. Aragorn helped carrying a table with Legolas to shore up the door of the hall

“You said this fortress would never fall while your men defend it! They still defend it! They have died defending it!” He hissed. Legolas dashed to Sarah’s side as she pressed against the wound on her side. She sat on the floor leaning against the wall, wincing from the pain. Legolas felt helpless for there was nothing he knew to do, especially when she wouldn’t let him take a look at the wound.

“Is there no other way for the women and children to get out of the caves?  [There is no answer.] Is there no other way?” Sarah finally spoke as Théoden refused to look at her.

“There is one passage. It leads into the mountains. But they will not get far. The Uruk-hai are too many.” Gamling spoke.

“Send word for the women and children to make for the mountain pass. And barricade the entrance. Sarah can go with them”

“NO!” She refused.

“Aragorn I cannot take care of single woman and child in the caves. Especially wounded! I am exhausted like everyone else, and I could probably only kill another thousand if I am lucky. I am not strong enough Aragorn!” She spoke as Théoden turned to her.

“How can we trust you? You’re the Princess of Mordor! Daughter of Sauron and maybe we should bargin with him, giving him you so he can let us be!” He snapped as Legolas stood protectively in front of Sarah.

“That won’t work Théoden and you know it! Once my father has me, he will kill you all anyways! Besides, I fought with you those years back, I fight with you now! What difference has changed?” She spoke to him hurt as he sighed.

“Nothing. I’m sorry” He apologised. She smiled, she tried to get up but couldn’t as she let out a gasp. Legolas pushed her gently back down.

“Sarah you must rest” He told her. She smiled at Legolas, and sighed and stayed rested on the ground.

“So much death. What can men do against such reckless hate?” Théoden asked almost in a daze. There was a silent pause for a moment before Aragorn walked to Théoden.

“Ride out with me. Ride out and meet them.” He whispered as I smiled. A light of determination shines in Théoden eyes

“For death and glory.” He added.

“For Rohan. For your people.” Sarah spoke, as she jumped up, before she felt a sudden rush to head and winced. OUCH!

“The sun is rising.” Gimli spoke. Aragorn and Sarah both looked up at a window to see faint light streaming through. They both recalled Gandalf's words and heard them in their ears as if he was saying it to them now. ‘Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east.’

“Yes. Yes! The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the deep one last time!” Théoden spoke as Gimli smiled.

“Yes!” he cheered as he ran up the steps to the horn of Helm Hammerhand.

“Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath! Now for ruin! And a red dawn!” Théoden spoke wisely, almost as a true king as he mounts his horse and puts on his helmet. The sound of the horn rumbles through Helm's Deep as Gimli blows with gusto. Legolas placed Sarah on the back of his horse, as she held onto his waist with her left hand and her sword in her right. She focused as her eyes turned black and was ready to make them destroy one another.

“FORTH EORLINGAS!!” Théoden shouted as Théoden leads the charge out of the keep into the Hornburg, slashing away at the Uruk-hai as they go. Without pause, they storm out of the gate and down the Causeway, right into the column of waiting Uruk-hai. In the midst of battle, Aragorn looks east and sees a white rider against the rising sun. Orcs fought against each other to the sound of Sarah’s words.

“Gandalf.” Aragorn whispered happily.

“Théoden king stands alone.” Gandalf spoke as coming up from behind Éomer appeared.

“Not alone.” He spoke as he raised his hand. “Rohirrim!!” He shouted as the riders move up behind Éomer.

“Éomer!” Théoden spoke happily as he looked to the East.

“To the king!” Éomer cried as the Rohirrim and the White Rider charge down the slope. Half the Uruk-hai army turns to face the challenge, bearing their spears down towards the riders. As the riders draw closer, the sun rises behind them, momentarily blinding the Uruk-hai who raise the hands (and spears) to shield their eyes. The riders crash right into the Uruk-hai and engage them in battle.

“How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?” Sarah found herself whisper.

“Victory! We have victory!” Théoden cheered as he raises his sword with a victorious cry. Just then Sarah felt a pain in her side, as she cried out. Legolas turned to see her fall from the horse onto her back, her blue eyes crying out as Gandalf ran to her. Her eyes flickered as she cried out…..