"Oh?" Donghyuck wasn't sure what Jisung meant by that, but he didn't have long to wait, as Jisung continued to explain. As he did so, the weary freshman looked away towards the parking lot, starting to track Renjun's movements distractedly, but his voice was strong and resolute.

"I apologised." Jisung's fingers tightened in his, so Donghyuck squeezed back just as tightly. "While you were outside with Renjun-hyung, I was thinking about what you said. I already knew I needed to say sorry, even before you got there, but then it was like—" He trailed off for a second, lips twisting down into a frown. "I just really didn't want to wait until the middle of next week, when I get back from my suspension."

"That's very brave of you..."

"Not really," Jisung muttered, before Donghyuck could say anything else. Jisung met his gaze again and smiled, this time more genuinely than the last. "I know you're going to try to make me feel better, hyung, but it's not necessary. I made a mistake, and you were right. I needed to own up to it, sooner rather than later."

"Fair enough." Donghyuck couldn't help the proud smirk that lifted his lips as he pried his spare hand free from under Chenle and reached across to ruffle Jisung's hair. "I am proud of you though." He paused when Jisung looked like he wanted to protest, but then continued when it became clear that the younger boy had nothing left to say. "So how did Dongin take it?"

"He accepted my apology." Jisung sighed. "He didn't look like he wanted to, but he did. I guess I can try again next time I see him, but I don't think he realises why what he said was wrong, so it just looks like I punched him for no reason."

"There's not much you can do about that, Jisung-ah," Donghyuck said softly, jostling Chenle gently as he shrugged. "That's a him problem, not a you problem. Next time, I'd perhaps suggest a different approach to trying to educate him, but some people just want to believe whatever bigotted thing they believe. He's not alone in that opinion, and it's never easy to change people's minds when they're like that."

"I wish it wasn't so hard," Chenle piped up, peering owlishly at his best friend from over Donghyuck's shoulder. He scooted forward towards the edge of the curb, until he was almost squatting over the parking lot, and then twisted to meet Donghyuck's gaze. "I wish everyone was as open-minded as us, hyung."

"I know." Releasing Jisung's hand, Donghyuck looped an arm around each of their shoulders, pulling both boys in for what he hoped was a bolstering embrace. "It won't always be this way though. They'll learn through others, through people like you two, and things will get better one conversation at a time."

"I—"

"Hyuck!"

Whatever Chenle had been about to say next was interrupted by Renjun, who suddenly appeared from behind a hulking SUV with a worried furrow to his brow. One look at his friend had Donghyuck pushing to his feet, crossing the void between them in an instant. "What's wrong?"

"What kind of car does his dad drive?"

"Huh?"

"You heard me." Pushing past Donghyuck, Renjun hurried towards Jisung until he was close enough to fold into a neat crouch, fingers pressed lightly to the concrete curb on either side of Jisung's legs. "Jisungie, what car does your dad drive?"

"I—" For several long moments, Jisung simply gaped at him, Renjun's face so close that he couldn't look away even if he wanted to. His mouth opened and closed rapidly, like he was auditioning to become some never-before-seen aquatic creature, before his brain finally managed to catch up with Renjun's question. "I—it's an old green Hyundai... why?"

Renjun sighed in a way that sounded utterly defeated, letting his chin drop towards his chin as he huffed out the breath, and then he was abruptly pushing to his feet again, so fast that Donghyuck almost couldn't follow the motion. He turned on his heel and shifted until he stood directly in front of Jisung—not unlike a human shield—staring out across the parking lot towards something Donghyuck couldn't yet see. "In that case, we may have a problem."