"when i held you in my arms that night, i felt like someone was tearing my heart from my chest and leaving me to bleed out" he murmured. his arms tightened slightly around me. "i watched you close your eyes for what i thought was for the last time, knowing there was nothing i could do but hold you. it was my own personal hell. i screamed for you. i pleaded with the universe to bring you back to me. it seems that i wasn't ignored like i thought i was" 

my vision blurred with my tears. they raced each other down my face and onto my chest, where they found their resting place in Elijah's hair. 

when Elijah turned to face me i cupped his cheeks. meeting his gaze, i promised " i'm never going anywhere, elijah. i love you too much to leave you" 

a knock on the door interrupted us, and i quickly wiped at my damp face. 

a doctor walked in seconds later with a bright smile painted across his lips. " it is fantastic to see you finally awake miss petrova. if you don't mind we would like to run a few tests before we send you home, but they should only take a few days." 

he glanced back at the clipboard and flipped over a few pages " thankfully, you have recovered well, despite losing so much blood. it turns out that the bullet pierced your upper thigh. But don't worry, the babies are perfectly okay" 

Wait... What?

 i stared at the doctor in disbelief, but he seemed as shocked as i was. 

"fuck off... you're joking aren't you?" 

the doctor shook his head

"wait" Elijah muttered "you said babies... does that mean...?"

"your twins? i thought you knew..." 

i blinked at him. 

my breathing quickened and my heart beat violently in my ears. It felt as if the world had stopped spinning. 

twins. two babies...

i turned and my gaze collided with Elijah's. "twins " i gasped "is this really happening?" 

he smiled slightly and i noticed how his eyes glistened under the light. he nodded slowly. 

a shaky breath rushed from my lungs and out of my mouth. i sealed it with my palm. I was dazed when i heard the doctor speak. i could hear his voice, but not his words. i watched the door as he left through it, leaving his words behind too as they spun frantically around my mind. 

i felt a hand gently grip mine, and the look on Elijah's face anchored me, bringing me back to the moment. he waited for my reaction.  

"we're going to be parents" i whispered.

"we are..." he held my gaze tightly with his own "we can do this... together" 

my eyes began to tear up as i held his face in both hands and kissed him
. he pulled me closer with his hand on my back. 

"together" i repeated and he smiled.

...

i flicked through the pages of my magazine pointlessly, slapping it shut with a sigh. the sound of the clock ticking past 2pm echoed throughout the silent room. 

Elijah had left to go find Emma and the boys when she rung lost on the 5th floor, so i was alone and bored out of my fucking mind. 

I reached to grab my glass of water, my eyes latching on to the little black and white image on the nightstand. I picked it up slowly and placed it onto my propped up knees.