one.

CHAPTER ONE,
cross-dressing murderers

        IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE system, sexually-based offenses are considered especially heinous

IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE system, sexually-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Special Victims Unit. These are their stories.

━━━

Sydney stared at the plastic test in her hands, trying to comprehend what she was looking at. She heard the door to the bathroom open, and she quickly shoved the test back into the box, "Hey, Syd, you good in there? You've been in there a while." Mistake number 2, taking the test at work.

"Uh-huh, all good." Sydney reassured, "What're you doing in here anyway? It's a women's restroom."

"You've been in here for almost half an hour. We were getting a little worried you got flushed down the toilet." Sonny joked.

"Nope, still here. I'll be out in a sec." She promised. She heard his footsteps retreating, then heard the door close. She locked her head between her legs and took a deep breath. She shoved the test into her pocket and made her way over to the sink.

As she watched her hands, her eyes drew down to her stomach. She stared at it, trying to imagine a baby inside.

━━━

Sonny and Sydney watched from the shore as the corners pulled another severed body part out of the water, "Was she dismembered, or did she come apart in the water?" Sydney asked as they placed the next body part on the tarp with the rest.

"No obvious tears, but there are cutting marks in the bones and tendons." The coroner repsonded.

"Another body here at Yates' burial ground," Liv joined them on the shore with Fin.,

"Yeah, some skinny-dipping teenagers ditching class kicked up the vic." Sonny answered.

"Local precinct gave us the heads-up, thought it might be one we missed," Sydney added.

"How? We covered the whole island." Liv looked around the dark and gloomy beach.

"And Yates buried his bodies. This one we found floating in the water." Amanda stated.

"It just happens to coincide with when and where Yates dumped Nadia? Rollins." Sonny gave her a sideways look.

"Okay. What, he buried Nadia, goes back out to Queens, assaults two flight attendants, has lunch with his fiancee, and finds time for a fourth assault? Come on." Amanda gave him a sideways look.

"The man was on a spree," Fin added.

"For brunettes. She's a redhead. It's not his type." Liv shook her head.