81.2. Swarm of Scorpions

属下shǔ xià - subordinates refer to themselves as shuxia

Da Furen had left the best room in Fu RuiCourtyard to Li Wei Yang. Li Chang Xi was rather unhappy and despite Li ChangXiao's attempts to stop her, she rushed over to voice her complaints. Then, shesaw Du mama reminding a group of Yatous: "Si Xiaojie and Wu Xiaojie aside,Furen said to serve San Xiaojie with care!"

Li Chang Xi heard this, and she was furiousand fuming.

Hearing Du mama talk about how Li Wei Yang wasfavored by Lao Furen and given such luxuries, the flames of anger burnedbrighter for Li Chang Xi. In the past, she may not have been Li Chang Le'sequal, but she still had greater status than Li Wei Yang, and yet, now Li WeiYang had stumbled across such luck and surpassed her in status.

Du mama continued: "Of the unmarried shuXiaojies in the house, with a lovely face and grace, is there anyone who cancompare to San Xiaojie, noble and prestigious in everyone's eyes, with suchwealth and even more so in the future!"

These words made Li Chang Xi even moreuncomfortable.

"Earlier, Furen had me prepare a newgold-embroidered quilt for San Xiaojie, yet she did not mention the other twoXiaojies, it seems San Xiaojie has the highest status in Furen's eyes."

Everyone was listening closely when a voicesuddenly rang out behind the crowd: "Du mama!"

Du mama turned, surprised: "Ah, Wu Xiaojie!"She immediately fell silent.

Li Chang Xi's face was particularlyunpleasant, she scoffed coldly. Li Chang Xiao pulled at her sleeve, Li Chang Xitried to hold back her anger as she said: "Du mama, I have moved my belongingsover, now I want to see Mother."

Du mama smiled and said: "Furen said to waitfor San Xiaojie first."

Li Chang Xi's face grew even uglier.

Two Yatous dragged a small sack into thecourtyard. Du mama quickly stopped them: "Have you brought the ingredients?"

One of them, a clever-looking Yatou responded:"Yes, they will be immediately sent to kitchen."

Something rustled within the sack, makingothers nervous. Li Chang Xi furrowed her eyebrows: "What is this?"

Du mama responded: "The physician said Furen'scondition is severe, so scorpion tail soup is necessary to nurse her back tohealth. These scorpions must be the most venomous kind and thoroughly cooked inorder to be most effective as a soup. Aiya, that's right, Wu Xiaojie, Xiaojieshould stay away, if they happen to sting you, it will be a matter ofjiǔsǐyīshēng." She then ordered the two Yatous to take the sack to the kitchen.

Li Chang Xi stood rooted to the spot as shelistened until Li Chang Xi nudged her, breaking her out of her trance: "Mei,what is wrong, why were you in a daze?"

Suddenly Li Chang Xi laughed, Li Chang Xiaosaw this and felt that it was a bit strange. Li Chang Xi looked over at herjiejie and closed her mouth, refusing to say a word. Si jie was too weak andlacking, telling her would not be a good thing. Once she had dealt with Li WeiYang, she would tell Si jie. Li Chang Xi felt a hint of rising anticipation.

Li Wei Yang had moved everything in when shesaw the two jiemei Li Chang Xi step into her room: "Aiya, the lighting is Sanjie is so nice, Mother can be so unfair!" Li Chang Xi giggled as she said this,there was no other emotion that stood out on her face.

Li Wei Yang heard her words, which wereneither bitter nor lighthearted, and faintly smiled, ignoring her words.

"San jie, we should go see Mother." Li ChangXi approached Li Wei Yang, intending to pull her along, not a trace of anger onher face.