Chapter V

A.N.: Do you guys want me to give titles for the chapters too instead of just Roman numerals? It's simpler for me to not have to think of them, but it might help if you're ever wanting to re-read a certain part.

Also, just a hint, I put a very very discrete reference to XYZ that you probably wouldn't know unless you remember every single detail of it. I just couldn't help myself. I also put a really obvious reference closer to the end so basically everyone who's watched it will know. lol, I'll reveal the answers for both at the end of the chapter!

"What did Mom want to talk to you about?" Max asked as he triple-checked his bag. He peeked inside and made sure he'd packed enough underwear so he wouldn't end up walking around a forest barefoot if he lost a pair of socks.

"N-not much," Ruby said dismissively. She was sitting cross-legged on his bed, watching him pack for the past thirty minutes. And before that, she had been waiting for him to wake up, as he had promptly crashed on his bed right when he got to his room due to lack of sleep last night. He'd woken up and scrambled to start packing an extra duffel bag along with his new backpack.

"Really?" Max asked. "It seemed kind of important." He looked up from his duffel bag to see her gazing softly at the ground.

"She just made me promise something, that's all." She glanced at him sheepishly. "She said that I had to promise to look out for you and make sure nothing bad happens. But..."

"...But?" Max asked.

Ruby's shoulders slumped. "I just don't think I can keep that promise is all. I mean, what if something really bad happens, and you get hurt, and I can't help you?" She suddenly straightened herself and tried to fix her face. "I know I probably shouldn't keep worrying like this, but I can't help it!"

Ruby felt the bed next to her sag as Max sat next to her. "You're right, you shouldn't worry. But it's okay to be afraid. I'm still nervous about this whole thing too," he admitted. "But I'm glad you want to keep me safe. And I'll do my best to watch out for you too, alright? Deal?"

Ruby turned to him. "Deal." They both shook on it and Max got back to packing.

"I think that's everything," Max mumbled. "I know I should pack light, but I can't help but wonder if I need anything else. I wouldn't want to have to come back just to pick something up."

Ruby giggled. "What else are you going to pack? Your soccer trophies?"

"I don't have any soccer trophies. I don't have any trophies at all for that matter."

"Your favorite pillow?"

"Why would I have a favorite pillow?"

"Oooh! I know! You should bring your bookshelf!"

"Ruby, enough already!" Max chided. Ruby put a paw to her mouth, trying to suppress a giggle. Max guessed she was trying to take her mind off her nervousness. He shook his head and looked out his window. It wasn't evening yet, but the sun was beginning to lower behind the other buildings in the city. "It's getting late. We haven't picked out where we're even going yet."

"Oh," Ruby hummed. "Hmm, I forgot about that."

Max pulled out his Rotom Phone and tried to find out how to access the map. He didn't have any time before to figure out how all the new features worked, so it took him a solid five minutes to find it, and then a couple more to figure out how to change the settings so it showed the landscape instead of just roads.

"Alright," he said as he sat next down to Ruby to show her the world map, showing all the different regions in the world. "Do you have any favorite places we've gone to?" he asked her.