CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

Start from the beginning

My eyebrows climbed. "You fucked a virgin?"

"Well, she didn't tell me that," he fired back, disgusted by their occurrence. "Bloodied cock and whatnot."

"That's what you get for being irresponsible all the time," I respired a slew of smoke, watching him closely. "How did you handle Jace?"

Brad was confused for a moment. "Oh, the inked guy?" He jerked a shoulder. "Fine. He left willingly. He didn't argue the matter."

Odd, I thought, twisting slightly in the chair. "Not even a bit of lip?"

Brad shook his head. "He apologised for offending you and went on his merry way."

Unease gnawed my stomach. "I do not trust him," I said, and his lips stretched into a knowing grin. "No. It has nothing to do with Alexa. There is something off about him; I feel it in my gut."

I scratched my jaw, finished the cigarette and picked up the phone to scan the recent dial history. I clicked Alexa's number. "Welcome to the o2 messaging service—" I ended the call and sent her a text message instead.

Me: Are you ready?

Nate strode into the office, tossed his suit jacket onto the coffee table, rounded the desk and loaded surveillance.

Me: You looked beautiful tonight.

I gave him a sharp look. "What the fuck are you doing?"

"Sir." Nate's inked fingers tapped the keyboard. "Do you know this guy?" He turned the monitor and zoomed in on a middle-aged male, lingering near the customer bathroom facilities. He stands with his back to the camera, a phone to ear, but frequently looks over his shoulder as if expecting someone.

Brad's hand grasped the back of my chair. His narrowed eyes were pinned on the screen. "Isn't he one of Alexa's work friends?"

I had no idea. "What about him?"

Me: Maybe keep the dress on. I need something to hold onto when I bend you over.

Nate minimised the window and clicked on a different camera angle, confirming the man had previously sat around the table with Alexa and her friends. He held an intimate conversation with Jace but paid scarce attention to the others. "Again, what about him?"

Me: Fuck the dress. I want you naked, writhing beneath me, those sinful legs wrapped around my waist while I fuck you.

My cock is hard just thinking about it.

"He left them before you confronted Jace," Nate explained, loading a third camera angle. "After he utilised the restroom, he vacillated near the fire exit. He spoke to security and convinced him to let him smoke a cigarette in the alleyway." We watched the men interact on the screen. "I don't know why the doorman authorised it, though."

I was anxious to leave. "Well, call him to the office so that I can ask him."

Me: Don't worry, baby. I plan to make love to you, too.

"He's not downstairs," Nate continued, and my scowl deepened. "That's how I knew something wasn't right. The fire door was left open, with no sign of security. I checked surveillance on my laptop, felt their strange interaction was noteworthy and brought it to your immediate attention. I don't know what this means, though." He's unconvinced. Worry lines merged above his furrowed eyebrows. "It's probably nothing."

Drumming my fingers on the desk, I anxiously awaited Alexa's response.

Brad's backside perched onto the desk. He uprooted his phone, dialled a number and placed it to his ear. "What's your station?" he asked Tim, tonight's head bouncer. "Who is patrolling the back? Alfie?"