CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

Start from the beginning

"I don't see why not." My elbow rested on the bar top. "It's a private function. Knock yourself out."

Josh poured Jameson into a crystal glass, adding a splash of coke. "Damn." He whistled. "Looking good."

I followed his line of vision and bellied disapproval.

My blonde nemesis, modelling a skin-tight dress, impressive rack and six-inch heels, perched onto a padded bar stool. "Hey, Josh." As I am a non-existent species to Natalie, she ignored me, ordered champagne and scoured our surroundings with intense covetousness. "Where is the boss?"

I hate her so much. I will not stand here and listen to her fawn over Liam.

Without wreaking havoc, I grabbed the glass and clutch purse, left the bar and hunted the growing crowd for my friends. Tailored in a navy three-piece, Brad stopped me from going further. "Just a heads up." His chin jerked toward the entrance. "Warren is on his way over." He rubbed his palms together, and the gold curb bracelets that adorned his wrists clinked together. "Make yourself scarce."

My chin hit the floor. "Why?"

"In case he freaks out," he stated the obvious, and I resisted the urge to kneecap him. "What? You knew hostility was a possibility."

His rhyming lingo almost had me smiling. "You assured me he'd get over it," I retorted, and he grinned mischievously. "Brad!"

Brad gently probed me toward the velour cushioned booths. "Your crazy friends are over there." His fingers combed through blond locks. "Hide until he calms down."

"Okay," I whispered, hand to my stomach to ease intense nausea. "Oh, God. What if Liam finishes with me? This is a terrible idea. Let's call it off while there is still time."

"No." He lifted an amber-filled glass to his lips. "Get wasted. Be quiet. I will find you later."

Brad disappeared before I protested. As instructed, I downed the vodka for necessary courage and went to Chloe, Grayson, co-workers—and Jace. Great. "Hey," I sing, wiggling past partygoers in their glamorous cocktail dresses and black tuxedos. "I hope you weren't waiting long." I eyed the only space beside the man in leather and contemplated standing. I plopped onto the seat, turned my back to him slightly, and crossed my legs. "What are you drinking?"

"Hon, I love him." Chloe tossed a thumb toward Grayson. "He is adorable."

Affronted by her child-like praise, Gray spluttered mid-drink. "Adorable," he mocked, gesturing to his silk cream and gold embroidered shirt. "Not cool, Goldie Locks. Since when did Versace scream adorableness?"

"I meant your personality, dick head." She sucked champagne through a black straw. "Why can't you accept compliments, Grayson? Just be quiet and do shots with me."

Not understanding their newfound friendship, I shook my head.

"What are you drinking?" Jace leaned closer to investigate the contents in my glass. "Ah, vodka. The good stuff."

His neat drink sat on the table. "I found a fellow vodka aficionado," I said, impressed. "Nice."

Liam and Brad appeared at the entrance. I sank in the seat. Oh, God. Liam's angry. I can feel his rising tension radiating from here. He passed guests fake smiles while he mastered scolding Brad like a ventriloquist.

Head falling against the booth's padded rear, I snickered into the glass.

"Why are you laughing?" Jace's pierced eyebrow hiked in question. "You are so strange, Alexa."

"I know," I agreed, unfazed by his light-hearted judgments.

As a unit, Liam and Brad descended the glass staircase to join the lively party. Blond Suit tapped the boss' shoulder before he vanished into the crowd, and Liam, forced to converse with excitable guests, alternately addressed whoever demanded attention. He managed to slip away by gesturing to the bar. Masking irritation, he ordered a drink from Josh, a distilled glass of whiskey. His back to the counter's edge while he sipped and hunted our proximities. I knew he was looking for me, and I almost stood to greet him until Natalie forced herself into his optical axis, hand on her hip, slick blonde hair falling down her back.