Twenty-One

2 1.

•••

All these years.

I'd been in love with someone who was in love with someone else? And not just anyone, my fucking brother! How does that even make any sense?

My heart felt like someone just stabbed a thousand knives in it, and it was bleeding yet no one made a move to help me stop the bleeding. Even if someone could help me; it was no use because no one could put a band aid over a broken heart.

As soon as the car came to halt in front of my house, I reached for the door handle to get out of the guy in a rush. Hot tears threatened to spill from my eyes, but I didn't want him to see how much this affected me.

The cool air felt right against my flushed face. I started walking up the driveway when Adam called my name. Something in his voice caused me to stop, but I didn't turn around.

I kept my gaze ahead of me, the house lights still on. "I'm so sorry," he said behind me, making sure not to come too close. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

Whipping around to look at him, his blue eyes were darker than usual. His face was set in a frown, guilt written all over him. "I can't believe this," I said in a whisper, "I liked you for such a long time, and... and I really thought that we..."

"I know," he said as he slowly walked toward me. His usual smiley face was replaced with a concerned look of worry, and fear. "That's why it's better to talk about it right now."

Pushing my tongue against the pallet of my mouth, I tried not to lash out on him right now. "So you wanna talk about it huh?" I said a bit too harshly, "okay, Adam, let's talk about it — all these years. This does not make any sense. No wait, I am a fool. Of course I didn't see this coming."

Reluctantly, Adam took another step toward me killing whatever distance was between us. "It's not your fault, and you're not a fool," he tried to reassure me. "The thing with your brother and I... it just kind of happened. I didn't expect it honestly."

My nose started to sting as I felt the tears swelling up in my eyes. I ran my hand through my hair. I was gobsmacked. Who in their right minds would want to go out with my brother? He didn't even have a sense of humor, or dignity for that matter.

He added in a whisper, "yeah, I know this may come as a surprise to you. But I can't choose who I fall in love with, and he's just such a great guy."

I blinked. What? Turning around on my heel, Adam grabbed a hold of my wrist keeping me in place. No, I refused to believe this.

Turning to look at him again, I said, "I never thought this day would come. This is so much information to take in. Who else knows about the two of you?"

Adam looked surprised at my question. "You're the first person that actually knows," he said truthfully, letting go of my wrist to run his hand through his hair. "It's hard to come out to your family when they're expecting so much from you."

I tried to wrap my head around all this. He took my hand in his. "Please don't tell anyone about this," he pleaded, "my sexuality is important to me, and I'd like to come out on my own terms."