"I'm really fine Reid, I'm a pretend doctor after all, remember?" Darling joked, squinting at him to stop the shadow around him from vibrating like everything was in her head right now.

"Please, please let me help you" Reid walked over and steadied her.

"You can't help me Spencer, what are you going to do; fist fight them?"

"I'll try to if it means you won't have to keep going through this" he nodded in a way that made her laugh.

"That's sweet sugar, and I mean no offence to you with this but I don't think you'd last two seconds in a fight with good ol' Jeffery."

"I don't think even the hulk would" Reid accidentally joked which made Darling burst out laughing as she slid down the basement wall to the floor, looking down at her dirtied shirt and sighing.

"You know what I'd risk fighting Jefferey for? A gosh darn shower, the amount of dried blood I have on me is ridiculous."

Reid thought for a moment as she rambled on about how unsanitary it was before he started yelling up the stairs.

"What the heck are you doing?!" Darling used all of her energy to get up and try to cover Reid's mouth, knowing that the only reason they weren't being beaten or killed by the unsubs was because they were 'complying' and not kicking up a fuss like he was doing now.

The door opened before she could get to him and Reid pushed past Darling to the bottom of the stairs.

"What you want?" Jefferey spoke, seeming unsure of himself since he wasn't supposed to open the door without Clause there.

"She needs a shower for her wounds" Reid explained.

"Spencer! Be quiet!" Darling dragged herself over to him but he kept talking.

"Please, just let her take a shower, she's too drugged up to escape-"

"No" Jefferey walked down the stairs and looked at Darling before going to turn to leave, not noticing that Reid had grabbed his knife from his belt- not going to stab him like he thought but holding it to Darling's throat.

"W-what are you doing?!" She squeaked.

"Clause won't be too happy with you if he comes back and she's dead, will he? He'll think you killed her, that you killed his prized experiment who's gotten further than his others."

Jefferey just stared at him, not having the mental capacity to see his lie and being too overcome with fear of what Clause would do to him if he found Darling dead from Jefferey's prized hand carved knife.

"Put... put down" Jefferey tried to order but Reid shook his head.

"Take her to the shower, let her clean the blood off herself, get her a fresh change of clothes and some proper food- I'll put it down if you promise to do that."

"Reid, you should really negotiate for something else- like ya know freedom or something" Darling whispered urgently, understanding what he was doing but knowing they could negotiate for food or even sunlight and a chance at running if they got out of the basement together.

"You've done so much for me by taking all of those needles, let me do this for you" he whispered back before looking at Jefferey again.

"I'll kill us both and make it look like you did it Jefferey; Clause won't believe you, he'll hate you" he pushed the manipulation further which Darling hated, she hated seeing the fear of Jeffery's face, the familiar fear of not wanting to upset your abuser.

She went to intervene but Jefferey grabbed her arm and pulled her from Reid who pulled the knife away just in time to not slit her throat, Jefferey grabbing it from him too.