Chapter 43: Battle Angel

Start from the beginning

He took a hesitant step forward, unable to help himself. He wanted her closer. He wanted to feel her warmth and the uneven beating of her heart. 

A small smile tugged at her lips and she nodded, opening her arms in invitation. She didn't need to tell him twice. 

Pope rushed forward, tenderly wrapping his arms around her petite frame and burying his face in her hair. She sighed against his neck, leaning into his embrace. She was there, safe and sound. 

They were together. Everything else could burn in hell for all he cared. 

The thought was selfish, but Pope had never been a selfish person, so he hoped God would understand. 

It didn't take long before Kiara joined them, her curly hair spilling over Delilah's shoulders as she leaned her head against her. JJ squeezed Pope's neck, easily recognisable by the familiar smell of pot, oil, and a specific after-shave they had stolen from a kook store together. 

For a moment, Pope allowed himself to think that everything would turn out alright. The fear and stress that had constantly weighed him down suddenly washed away, leaving only exhaustion in its wake. They all needed sleep.

"Where is the file?" asked Delilah, her voice muffled. 

She made no move to push him away.

Kiara exhaled a sigh. "Hidden in my father's truck."

"We have to give it to my uncle to make sure Ward pays."

"Can we trust him?" frowned JJ.

"Without a doubt," intervened Pope, convinced that Mr Thompson was a rightful man.

"Come on, let's get this done and over with," said Kiara with a firm expression. "I want to sleep and forget this ever happened."

Delilah let out a soft laugh, still nestled in his chest. "I doubt that'll ever happen."

Kiara led the way, quickly followed by JJ, who was arguing about the positive impacts this adventure would have on their lives. 

If Pope would have been given the choice, he would've gladly stayed still, forever keeping Delilah in his arms. But he knew she needed to finish what she had started. 

Reluctantly, he untangled his arms from around her, moving away and preparing himself to follow their friends. 

A slender hand grabbed his wrist, spinning him around until he was face to face with his angel. Her face was tilted up, so close he could feel her breath on his lips. It would take nothing at all to capture her mouth against his. 

His cheeks heated. The thought was tempting.

"When this is over," she breathed, the words making the curve of her lips all too appealing. "We are going to a place where we will be all alone and I am going to kiss you senseless." She paused, letting the words sink in. "Because I'm selfish and I want it."

The words made his heart beat speed up to ten times it's normal pace. He slid his hands to her waist, pulling her close until there was barely any space left between them.

"And you're going to tell me exactly what you want from me before I go crazy," he said in a low voice, not trusting himself.

She chuckled, her cheeks tinted pink. "You have no idea what you're doing to me right now."

He smirked, despite the fact that his legs felt like jelly. It was a miracle that he was still standing. "I don't know what I'd do if JJ wasn't staring at us."

She groaned, ducking her head under his chin and hiding her expression. "I'm going to murder him one of these days."

He laughed, butterflies fluttering at the bottom of his stomach. "Murder takes too much time to plan. I want you all to myself before that."

He could feel her thundering heart beat against his own and decided it was the most beautiful musique he'd ever heard.

She smiled against his chest, and he could nearly picture how it made her glow. "You underestimate how good of an assassin I am."

Unable to help himself, he kissed the top of her head, grinning like crazy. "Remind me never to get on your bad side."

She laughed, shoving his chest before running up ahead to catch up with JJ and Kiara, who couldn't keep the smirk off of their faces. 

He was left standing there like an idiot with the stupidest smile on his face. It was at that moment that he realised Delilah could ask anything of him and he'd be down on his knees, obeying her every command. 

He was doomed. 

And the fact didn't bother him at all. 

A/N Well folks, seems like things are finally looking up for Pope. Wonder how this'll end up! Two updates in three days, let's hope I manage to keep this up ;p

Thanks for reading! 

-Aella