Sharp Pain - Chapter 1

"You must help me find her 'Ponine," Marius' eyes twinkled as he spoke of her and realization hit me, he will never think of me like that ever.

"All I can tell you is that she lives in the mayors house with her father and her name is Cosette," I say, desperately trying to keep the emerging tears from flooding down my cheeks,

"Cosette? Please help me find her,"

If only he knew the pain he was putting me through, "I'm afraid not Marius, I would love to help you, but I can't," I say as I turn on my heels and run to no-where in particular. My tears flow uncontrollably out of my eyes and I use the back of my hand to wipe them away.

A sharp pain shoots through my neck as I run into a large and sturdy figure, "Oh, I am sorry mademoiselle! Here let me help you," The blonde man, no older than I, says as he helps me to my feet.

"I'm sorry," I sniff as I look up to meet his gaze, "You're Enjolras? I come to your meetings about the revolution,"

Another single tear rolls down my cheek as another sharp pain strikes in my neck and forehead as a screech flies out of my throat. He looks alarmed as I fall to my knees, but only to be stopped by his arms. "Here, I was on my way to my apartment, I'll help you get back home, where is your house? What is your name mademoiselle?" He says flatly but sincerely at the same time,

A blush rises to my cheeks and I don't know how to say I don't have one, "Eponine Monsieur, you have done en-"

"I insist on taking you back, where is your home?"

"I do not have one Monsieur," I mumble quietly,

His eyes have not left mine since we started speaking, but it is only now he notices my tears, "What is wrong?"

If only I could tell him everything, about how I love Marius and how he doesn't love me back. Just thinking about it makes me cry and not in control of my speech, "He doesn't love me," I weep,

"Who would be mad enough?" He asks as suddenly love fills his eyes as he gazes at me,

"You know him, very well I could imagine,"

"Who is it? Come on, please tell me, but in the meantime, lets get out of this rain and into my house,"

Rain? I look up to the sky as rain drops fall onto my face. Now I notice that it is raining and I am shivering.

"So who doesn't love you?" He asks,

"It's no one, he isn't important now," I mumble about my newfound feelings for Enjolras.

I sit in front of the fire he just lit and huddle over on the couch to keep warm.

"Why is that?" He asks, genuinely interested as he sits next to me and wraps a blanket around me.

"It is a stupid reason that is only going to lead to another heart break,"

"Do you not love him anymore? If you don't, you should be able to say his name,"

"It was Marius, okay? But I don't love him anymore now I met you," I say, getting slightly annoyed by his perseverance. The tears return as I stand to leave,

"Where are you going?"

"Saving myself from another disappointment,"

I storm towards the door but get whipped back around by my wrist as he crushes his lips to mine. "You didn't even bother to ask about how I felt," He smiles, his breathtaking smile that I could look at forever,

"My apologies,"

"Please stay here for a while, I don't want you in the cold streets,"

I remember about my work tomorrow and know that if he doesn't get to know who I am now, he won't let me stay, "You need to know something about me,"

"What is it?"

"I'm a Thenardier," I swallow down the lump rising in my throat, "And my dad makes me work down at the docks,"

"Right, the innkeepers," He nods looking like he just got slapped,

"So, now you know, I'll be going," I say with a sad tone clearly present in my voice as I walk towards the door. My hand twists the doorknob and i pull it backwards,

"Eponine," He calls, "I have never loved a girl as much as I love you, please stay,"

I turn around slowly and shut the door quietly, "It does not fuss you what my work does? If I don't go to work, my dad will will beat me,"

He swallows down the lump that must be rising in his throat, "I'd prefer you not, but I don't want you beaten. Just stay tonight and you can go to... work tomorrow when I leave for the cafe,"

I nod and sit back down on the couch, leaning into Enjolras' side as his arm wraps around my shoulders, "I'll sleep on the couch, so you can have a good nights sleep," He says, looking down at me, "If you sleep in the streets, you must not have a very comfortable bed if none at all,"

"None at all," I say, tilting my head back so it is just hanging and looking into his eyes, "But you cannot be so hostile to me, you can take the bed, and I will sleep on the couch, it's much better than my 'bed' now,"

He presses his lips to my forehead as my eyes shut and my head leans onto his chest and I flutter into sleep