You wrote me, Beau

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I'm sorry—" I was about to set it down but he stops me.

"It's fine, please." He says and I cautiously take a sip and we both walk back to the table, there was already people there too. "I was surprised to hear from you," Harry speaks as we sit down.

I set my glass down and look at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"Your letter." He says and I get even more confused.

"What letter?"

"You wrote me, Beau."

"I did?" I don't remember, I do know I had around a few letters that I never dared to send, I threw almost all of them away.

"If not you then who?" Harry says, confused as well. I then remember yesterday when Brooklyn said I had mail, there were three envelopes in her hands.

Did she accidentally grab a letter meant for Harry?

"You did write me, right?" Harry says, now sounding unsure.

"I mean, I did but I never sent out any of them." I say, trying my best to remember. "What did the letter say?"

Harry looks away, probably trying to remember. "Not much actually, it was more of a note. But you did ask me to be your date to Darien's wedding. I mean, I was already invited but I never planned on coming until the last minute when I got your letter."

Then it must've been recent, I don't recall ever asking him to be my date in any of the letters I wrote. It must've been the night of Darien's bachelorette party, I was so drunk. "Why didn't you send any of the letters you wrote me?"

I look down at the tablecloth, playing with the frills. I don't want to tell him that I was trying to get over him by writing those letters and throwing them away. So I shrug. "I just didn't see any point in it."

Harry scoffs. "I wrote you every week and month I was in there. Of course, I didn't know you had moved so whoever lives at your old apartment must be very confused." Harry says as he takes a drink from his scotch. I look from him and away, my eyes trying to find something else to focus my attention on.

Anything.

Soon, a thought creeps into my head. "I never did know why you left the day of the auction." I say, remembering how he looked angry as he walked off with his father on his trail. "I thought maybe you'd humor me and bid."

Harry gulps and shakes his head. "It would've looked distasteful on our part." He says. "Not to mention, I didn't want to participate in demeaning you by 'purchasing' you for the night." I sigh. I guess it doesn't matter now why he did what he did or didn't do.

"I guess you're right," I nodded. Soon, dinner starts and we eat in silence, neither of us dare to speak. After dinner, Alec and Darien do their bride and groom dance and other people join on the dance floor. As I'm getting up for another drink, I see none other than Nes and Colson talking by the table full of drinks.

When she spots me, I refrain from rolling my eyes. "Darien didn't tell me she was inviting skanks." Nes says with a smirk.

"Neither did I, until now." I bite back and she glared at me.

"I see you and Harry are here, you just never learn do you?"