September 24th 2021 | y/n

Start from the beginning

I laugh, but he shushes me, knowing I'm teasing him. "And she's protective over the three of us. But she also gets on us really hard when we do something stupid. So she heard my brother failed a couple of tests and slapped him really hard."

"Kinda sounds like you." He jokes. "I would never, I'd help him hide the fact he failed," I say. "You're a horrible older sibling." He judges. "Well, considering I'm not one..." I don't need to finish the sentence.

I smile at our silence. Never seems to be awkward. We never have been. "Do you want to get put on the SMP?" Out of left field there.

I shrug, then remember he can't see me. "Uh, I guess, but add whoever you want before me. It really doesn't bother me not being on it. I don't need to be on the SMP to be friends with you guys." I chuckle. He repeats my sound softly, resinating back to a similar tone to his morning voice.

"What if I want to add you first?" He asks me. I roll my eyes and lay my head down on my phone. "I get if you don't want to, I was just wondering if you'd want to be whitelisted..." I smile and lay my face in my palms.

"You're awful shy off-camera." I giggle. He objects and becomes big-headed very quickly. "Y- W- You know what? Never mind. I don't even want you on the damn SMP." He replies.

I nod and smirk. He rolls his eyes and grunts. "Let me just-" He adjusts something in his bed. He lays back, but not all the way. "What?" I ask. "Moving my pillow, jeez Sherlock, not everything is about you." He teases.

"If I'm Sherlock that makes you Watson." I cross my arms. He sighs, choosing to admit defeat. "Speaking of which, I had this idea.." He says, and I sit up. I blink down at my phone.

"So, I was thinking about what I'd do when there would be six hunters... I struggle to beat the guys now, so I doubt I'd be able to beat them at all.. So I was thinking that maybe I could do six versus two. Maybe you could be my teammate since you aren't PVP-based."

I shrug as my cheeks flush with blood. "I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that either, we all get super criticized during the manhunts." He says to me. "If you think you need a second player, sure, I'd be honored."

I try to instill confidence in his ability. I think if you can beat five hunters, you can beat six. "I gotta go." He sighs. I let a long and drawn-out breath come from my nose. "Of course." I nod.

"Talk later?" He asks. "Yeah."

I stand up and walk to my bathroom.

12:29 P.M

I see a call from a familiar number, yet I can't seem to perceive it exactly. Probably spam, but might as well answer. I hear someone more than familiar.

"Y/n, please, I- I know you're not here anymore, I need someone to talk to. Please, y- you're all I got." My head drops. I set my phone down and run my hands through my hair. My heart rate speeds up.

"Atlas, are you drunk?" I sigh, disappointment eminent in my tone. I'm not coming at him for drinking, it's just that he shouldn't be drinking right now. I hit the speaker button. "Please don't be mad at me." He begs.

His pleading doesn't make saying no easier. I thought I was done with Atlas. "I'm not mad." I sigh. He whines and rubs his head. "I take it you aren't coping well." I frown. He was always more sentimental than I was.

"I saw a baby blue blanket with an 'I' inscribed and when I thought that maybe I was getting to be a little better, it just came flooding back." He shudders. I lay my head in my palms.

He chokes up. "And I saw this family, they had a son, he looked just like Evan when we were younger and I j- just started day drinking." I nod and draw in another lengthy breath. Even in high school, Atlas was the one to always get too drunk and do something stupid.

He was the first to lose his virginity. He wasn't short-tempered like Evan, but he has always had this uncontrollable urge to get passionate about everything and that's not always good. He gets his heart broken by everyone and their mother and he has no sense of knowing who not to trust.

That's why the four of us always worked so well as friends. Evan knew who to trust, while Atlas was too naive, I wouldn't give myself up to be hurt anymore, and Isabelle right or wrong could always keep the three of us glued together.

But in a world where that adhesive was weak in the past and gone now, those two opposing sides of the emotion spectrum just won't hold. Atlas is charming, easily lovable, and empathetic. While he's also gullible, vulnerable, and unwary. I'm cynical, closed off, and apathetic. However still nice, sarcastic, and protective over the ones I love.

Not punch a kid in the face over a lunch protective but that's beside the point.

But even without the glue, I know just how well the familiarity of an old friend can seem. "I need someone to talk to, please y/n, I'm not as strong as you. I can't cope with this like you." He pleads to me. My mind is already made up.

"Of course, Atlas, I'm here. We're going through the same thing. I know." I take my phone and slide to the floor. He sighs and requests a facetime call. I answer to see his face covered with what seems to be dried tears. The outside of his blue irises reddened.

"Y- I'm not trying to hate on you for leaving. I've grown past that. I just- I just- I didn't leave. It was just Isabelle and me for three years. Without you two there was a hole in the friendship," he sniffles. "But without all three of you, it's as if there was nothing there, to begin with."

"Evan was hurting and he saw no way out. That we couldn't help him. Isabelle never had the chance to be normal. She was fucked from birth and even after she was mostly healed, she had to get cancer. And you and me..."

"I'm not asking you to stay with me. I'm not asking you to be there. That's selfish, I've been selfish with you before. I was thoughtless after your very best friend had just died. I put my feelings first. So I'm not asking you to remain here with me in the past..."

"I'm asking that you live the best life you can, remembering the friendship we had for like eleven years. Because I know for as long as I'm alive that I will never forget or be thankless of th bond the four of us once had. I know that I'm going to live life because they can't anymore. So don't just sit back and allow them to wash away and mean nothing, live with them in your mind and be a person they'd be proud of. I'd be proud of."

"Atlas..." I chuckle stare at his small smile. "And y/n, I'm still in love with you, but I have the strength to know you don't feel the same way. I have the maturity in me now to understand that you're moving on from that point in our lives. I envy that of you. But I'm not mad, I'm satisfied knowing you're happy living with your life, whatever, whoever, that may be." He confesses.

"I love you Atlas, I always will." I smile. "I love you too." He says, then hangs up. My breath shudders as his face disappears.