Setting down the platter of breakfast upon the table, Tieve briskly prepared for the prince to eat, before standing upright and facing him. "Do you still dislike the duke?" He asked, gently brushing back some loose strands of red hair. "...I understand that Lord Atlan can be... Imposing, but he is doing all of this for your benefit, Your Highness."

Daniel's brows narrowed. "...I'm aware of that. My uncle is wise when it comes to educating me," he sighed. "But the way he speaks so ill of Mikael... Or even downgrades commoners and servants... And tries to push me into becoming superior... I can't stand that side of him."

Tieve remained quiet for a moment. The personality of Duke Karvus Atlan was a force to be reckoned with. Rather than being a figure of comfort to people, he was more fierce in his approach to certain things. He unknowingly would push people over the edge, pressuring them so immensely that anyone would grow sick of the conceited duke. Perhaps that was why his first wife, the mother of Freya Atlan, divorced him and left for another man.

Karvus Atlan was ambitious, as well as one of the brightest men in the empire. As the half brother of the late empress and highest duke in power, Karvus was determined to make Daniel the next emperor. After all, it was already well-known throughout the empire that Daniel's mother — Yestela Atlan - was a kind and generous woman who everyone adored.

Unlike the wench of a second queen, who seduced the emperor while provoking tumultuous chaos amongst the aristocracy, Empress Yestala was revered and loved by all people, even earning the support of other nations. Since her mother was the fourth princess of a powerful nation in the southeast, Yestala was able to sew her mixed bloodlines and help to prevent cultural clashes between Laydel and other empires.

"The reason why Duke Atlan is so fixed on your progress, must be because he wants you to live up to your mother's reputation," Tieve reassured. "You're the spitting image of the sister he cared so much about. I'm sure Lord Karvus has his reasons for being hard on you."

Despite Daniel's frustrations, he knew Tieve was right. Even though his lessons and tasks were becoming increasingly difficult, the Prince was aware that this was the path he needed to take to become an emperor the nation would feel satisfied with. Either way, he would eventually become Karvus' superior, so all he needed to do now was listen to the duke's teachings as a child.

I don't like that man... But he's my only source of guidance right now.

A while after eating his breakfast, Tieve helped the Prince prepare to meet with his uncle. Once they were done, he was escorted to the duke's office. The manor was vast, opulent and endless - unlike his previous home. And so Daniel's attendant acted also as his guide around the house of Atlan, until he learned all the ways around it.

As they made their way through one of the hallways, a small figure caught Daniel's attention. He side-glanced at an open doorway, noticing a girl gazing at him with hawk-like eyes. Her silky locks of black hair reached down to the hem of her tea-length dress. Those dark, forest-green eyes glared at the prince with a mix of contempt and envy.

Freya Venesthesia Atlan — the eldest child of Duke Karvus, and also his heir. Freya never did seem to like Daniel. From the day he had arrived in the estate, she would act coldly to her younger cousin. The two never really spoke, even though a few months had passed now.

Upon making eye contact, the girl's elegant brows narrowed in agitation, and she turned away from Daniel, heading back into the room she was inside. Tieve held back a sigh, as he noticed the brief interaction.