Chapter 6 - The Curse of the Black Spot

The Curse of the Black Spot, part 2 -

As Amy, Rory, Toby and Avery made themselves comfortable in the magazine the Time Lords went on deck to look at the stars.

"Martha and I went stargazing a lot before you found us", she started.

"I'd imagine you would", he smiled at her.

"I prefer the view from above", she told him, silently asking if they'd find the Tardis.

"She isn't gone, the Tardis, I swear, we'll find her", he put an arm around her and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

"You know, I always wondered why I was named after a constellation you can only really see from Earth", the Oracle pointed up at the Cassiopeia, "He didn't like Earth very much."

The Time Lords chuckled at the memory of the Lord President, "Not like he is a fun memory."

"Not a lot of positives in general", she agreed.

She pulled herself closer to him by wrapping her arms around his middle when the Captain approached. They spared him a short glance before looking back up as if there hadn't been any conversation at all.

"It's not one star, it's two", the Doctor spoke up and unwound his arm for a moment to point up, "The Dog Star, Sirius. Binary system."

"I use it to navigate the ocean", Avery told them.

"We've travelled far, like you. Space can be very lonely, and the greatest adventure is having someone share it with you", the Doctor pulled his wife even closer.

"If we get out of this I'll take him back to England. He can't stay with me. I'm not the father he needs."

The Time Lords unwound themselves from each other to properly chat with the sailor, "Who are you, Henry Avery? Respected naval officer, wife and child at home. How did you end up here, wandering the oceans with a band of rogues?"

"I've set my course now. Nothing I can do to alter it", he only said.

"People stared at it for centuries and never knew. Things can suddenly change, when you're least expecting", the Doctor smiled and took the Oracle's hand again, leading her away from deck and to the Captain's cabin.

They were looking around when Amy entered, "Doctor? Oracle-?"

The Doctor shushed her.

"What can you see?"

"Feels like something's out there, staring right at me", the Doctor let go of his wife's hand to take a few more steps forward. Then, suddenly, the ship seemed to lean aside and a thunderstorm erupted, "Man the sails!"

They all ran back on deck where rain was pouring and the Captain held onto the ropes, "To the rigging, you dogs! Let go the sails. Avast ye! Put the bunt into the slack of the clews."

"I swear he's making half this stuff up", Amy said as she, Rory and the Oracle started to pull on ropes.

"What we really need is some kind of phrase book", Rory called.

"Toby! Find my coat. My compass is inside it, boy. Heave ho, you bilge rats", Avery demanded.

"Rats was all I could hear", Rory shouted.

Toby heaved his father's coat out of a chest and made his way over to him when the crown fell out of the coat and everyone turned to it in shock. The boy looked at his father with disappointment but it didn't last long until he became entranced by the siren shooting out of the crown.

"Don't let her take you", Avery called.

Toby was drawn to the song and moved towards the siren.