Chapter 15

When your eyes opened, you found yourself laying in your own bed in your own house. You were confused for a moment, but you let a smile grace your lips when you heard the sound of bacon on the stove and a light humming in the kitchen.

You got out of bed as you wandered to the doorway of your room, roaming down the hall as you stopped with a smile. You leaned on the wall and watched as Elijah stood at the stove, his back turned to you as he cooked. You padded over to him, the lazy smile still on your face as you drifted over.

You wrapped your arms around him from the back, laying your head against his back as you took a deep breath. He looked at you over his shoulder with his own smile. "Good morning, my darling," he whispered to you. He turned around in your hold, wrapping his arms around your body as he pressed a kiss to your forehead.

"Morning," you replied.

"Did you sleep well?" he asked, to which you nodded with another deep sigh. You pulled your arms up to wrap around his neck, burying your face in the crook of his neck as you let his presence warm you.

"What are you cooking?" you asked gently, looking over to the stove to catch a look. You expected to see bacon on the pan--that was what you heard, after all--but as you looked into the pan, it was empty and the stove was not on.

You moved your eyes back to his, placing a hand on the side of his cheek, "Elijah?" He gazed down at you lovingly, but there was something strange about his eyes. They were still the deep chocolate you knew and loved, but they seemed just a slight too light to be right.

"I need you to do something for me," he whispered softly.

You nodded, "Anything."

He stroked his thumb across your cheek, the feeling soft--almost too soft you to the feel it. Come to think of it, you could hardly feel anything. Your hand, however, felt warm, a sensation becoming known on the back of it. "I need you to wake up," he told you.

You furrowed your brow, confusion settling in now, "What? What do you mean?"

His expression changed and he seemed a little more desperate, leaning forward to whisper in your ear, "Please wake up, Y/N."

Your eyes fluttered open then, and it took more strength than you were willing to admit to keep them that way. The room you were in was bright, the white of just about everything hurting your eyes as you took a moment to adjust. When they adjusted enough, you looked around the room with a sigh.

"Y/N," someone's voice asked gently, quietly.

You looked over, squinting your eyes as you saw Valerie sitting beside you. Her hand was wrapped in yours as her thumb stroked the back of it. "Val?" you asked, she nodded with a smile.

"Hey, how are you doing? Do you feel any pain?" she asked in a soft voice, looking over you quickly.

You smiled weakly and chuckled, "Considering I just took a bullet for someone... I feel pretty good... How long have I been out?"

"Almost two days," Val answered, "I was honestly beginning to worry."

"Eh, you're not getting rid of me that easy," you joked. She gently squeezed your hand with a light chuckle. You moved to sit up, groaning deeply at the pain that accompanied it. She kept you lying down, "Yeah, don't move too much. That'll hurt like hell. I'll go get you some pain meds."

You nodded lightly and she stood to leave. "Wait, Val," you said. She turned to look at you and you asked, "Where's Elijah? Can I see him? Please?"

She gave a light smile, "He'll be back in a moment, he made a quick run. Someone else wants to talk to you first though." She left the room then and someone else came through the door after a moment. You huffed and looked away as you saw your mother standing hesitantly there.