12. Slithery Friend.

Start from the beginning

When I examined the titles of the books, all I saw were names like, "A Guide to the Dark Arts" or related. I rolled my eyes as Tom lead me slowly through the bookshop, seeming to be looking for a certain book.

I sighed, after this I'm going to see if I can get an animal of some sort, I don't plan to be talking to many people in my free time so I figure that something to keep me company would be convenient. I don't care what it is or what Alley it's from, or if it's breaking school rules.

=🌿=

Once he was finished purchasing the books, he pulled me out of the store. He had ended up buying 3 books. All quite incredibly thick. He also bought a book strap carrier to heave the huge things around.

"All done then?" Tom swung the strapped up books over his shoulder after helping me put on the heavy backpack.

"Nope" I started pulling him from the store stacked with books about being evil. He sighed, though he didn't ask where we were headed.

I think I saw a pet shop or something across the path from where Tom knocked out that old hag.
So I decided to head over in that direction.

=🌿=

There must be something wrong with me because when we got back to the area, I had to hold back a giggle when I saw the old woman, still completely out, leant against the wall.

"Tom."

"Mm."

"Did you kill her?" I asked, keeping my expression empty pretty easily.

Tom glanced past me at the dramatic scene that nobody had bothered with, hesitating only slightly before saying;

"No." I left the area, ignoring cautious glances that people were sending us, probably having recognized us from before.

When I stepped into the shop, I started to hear a lot of chatter. Though I looked around, and there seemed to be hardly anyone here.

Most of the creatures being sold here were things like lizards, geckos, frogs, and snakes. All varying in colours, dull to bright, cold to warm.

The chatter hushed as we walked in. I had been left with only one available hand as Tom had decided to preocupy himself by reading a book
from the books that he'd bought from that book store earlier.

I slowly walked around, Tom following me (without choice), still reading his bloody book. I walked past a collection of poisonous frogs, finding them quite fascinating.

The faint conversations slowly started back up again, still coming from nowhere. It sounded excited, like energized gossip.

I decided that-even though it's against the rules- I'd like a snake. They're so cute like ugh. So yeah. I'll just keep it with me or something.

AND!! Because I'm so fun, I have to get a venomous one. So I can set it on my dorm mates when they annoy me. I'm kidding. I'd probably get expelled.

But anyway, I found myself in front of a cute little display of Boomslangs. I know they're poisonous, because I've researched them. They're honestly adorable with their wide eyes and variety of colours.

From the research that I've done, along with countless conversations with the care of magical creatures professor, Kettleburn, I know that Boomslangs are venomous enough to kill, which is cool, but they hardly ever bite, unless they feel they're in danger.

The jabbering abruptly stopped as I pulled out one that looked approximately to be a metre and a half long. A male, I saw. He held a bright, almost neon, metallic colour to his scales. His belly faded into a pale yellow, and his eyes were wide at the moment.

I held it safely, in a way that the snake would be comfortable, but still not able to bite me if it tried, yes, I've forced Riddle to let me use my extra hand.

It stayed calm and quiet. Honestly quite admirable. Tom just watched. I carefully carried the snake towards the counter as I let him wander, twisting around my arm across my shoulders.

=🌿=

Once he'd been successfully purchased, I picked out a snake perch and hammock that could slide onto the perch. He needed somewhere to sleep after all. Whilst I shoved them into my charmed satchel, Tom pulled me out of the shop, the snake draped over my shoulders, surprisingly relaxed.

The empty shop filled with excited cheers as we left the shop. I couldn't help but show a small smile as my face reddened from the invisible praise.

"Congratulations!!" "What a lovely human!" Were the types things that could be heard, even though it was unusual, it made me feel kind of... proud?

"Are you not scared of him?" Tom asked once we'd left, sending me a questioning glance.

"Most people are scared of snakes, if not petrified" He added as he looked from me, to the snake, then back ahead of us.

"Nah I'm not scared of this little guy" I tickled the snakes chin, him hovering over my shoulder as we walked. I still need to name him.

"I think that a lot of snakes are merely just misunderstood" I spoke with a small smile as I fondly looked upon my new friend.

"I agree."

And finally, for once, he looked at me, but this time as though there was something in me worth looking at.

=🌿=