As I thought, this reality has strayed so much from the original story that it would probably be wise not to rely on my knowledge of the future too much.

As the prince faced the brunette girl before him, he only nonchalantly averted his gaze. Irene wondered if he would gain feelings for Isabella eventually, just like how he did before. Although it wasn't a terrible idea, she felt a little uncomfortable with the thought - for some reason.

"Yes." He responded shortly, going back to tidying the chess game away. As he did, he could feel the bitter gaze of one of the young men at the doorway, searing onto the back of his head.

Irene snapped herself out of her cogitations, deciding that it wasn't a good time to be reflecting on the original story right now. Instead, she needed to focus on this awkward reality. The girl stepped forward, extending a hand to the twins at the door. "It's been a while, Ivan, Haren. You two haven't met the prince yet, right?"

The pair of them, although they showed obvious reluctance, only nodding in response. Irene anticipated this reaction. She knew that the children of noblewomen like Duchess Firventia - who was the centre of high society and all its gossip - probably ended up hearing all of the rumours circulating about Mikael. And not a single word said about him was good.

Irene was going to have to fix the way everyone saw the second prince. But that wasn't going to be easy. Mikael himself was an unfriendly, cold and quiet child who didn't even bother speaking to those he had no interest in.

Even Irene herself struggled to keep Mikael tied down to her. It took so much effort just to break his shell, she didn't want to ruin it or make him feel pressured by other people yet.

If I don't make any progress with Mikael, I sure as hell won't be able to help him open up to anyone else...

But at the same time, I can't just ignore these kids who want to spend time with me, because it could affect our relationships with other noble houses.

This timing couldn't be any worse...

Thankfully though, Irene had Isabella on her side. Her healing presence in itself was enough to help ease the tension, not between the boys, but for Irene's own mental state.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness," Isabella beamed, her smile radiant and tender. "My name is Isabella. I'm from House Einfred, and a close friend of Irene. I hope that we can get along!"

Isabella's amiable demeanour and clever choice of words allowed her to easily win people's favour - a trait of the protagonist. Irene wondered if her charm would work on the ice-cold statue in front of her. But Mikael simply nodded in response to her introduction before turning away with indifference.

Thankfully, Isabella wasn't bothered by it at all. As naive as she looked, she wasn't stupid. Isabella knew it wasn't going to be that easy.

I had to try for weeks, don't let it get to you, Isabella. Irene thought, wanting to sigh.

"Ah, these two are the sons of Duke Firventia, Ivan and Haren," Irene then introduced, when she realised Mikael was making eye contact with them. "They're mostly Rayvis' friends, but I guess we play together sometimes."

Ivan remained silent, crossing his arms as he turned his head in a harrumph - an obvious slight toward Mikael. Strands of his teal hair fluttered from the motion, and Irene could tell that the brat of the twins had no intention of communicating with Mikael. Ivan never does change... He's just a kid, but I still hope he doesn't end up saying anything stupid here.

Meanwhile, Haren shyly averted his gaze to the floor, but still greeted the prince. "I-It's nice to meet you, Your Highness." Although he was meek, Irene was glad that at least one of the two attempted to greet Mikael.