PTSD and a soothing voice

It was "The Day of the Dead" and when I asked what it was the crew, except Shadowsan, gasped. I was now out wandering the streets learning what this holiday was about. A crow caught me up on what the crew was doing so I went out to find them. Our next caper was New Orleans. Zack and I picked up Carm as the bad guy got in a taxi. As we were driving through a swamp Zack noticed someone following, Chase, "Oh no... I don't think I'm ready to confront him..." Chase eventually drove beside us and rolled down his window, "Carmen Sandiego, pull over, so that I may arrest you!"

Our car window rolled down and Carm put her arm on the open window, "Devineaux, where's Jules today?"

"That is classified, but Ms. Argent is doing other things."

"Shame, she's probably a better driver. And those are such nice cars." I got out of the car as it stopped because there was no way Chase was stopping his car before it drives off a cliff. I took off my hoodie and flew towards Chase, grabbing him just in time before the car drove off a cliff, Chase had his eyes closed and he was screaming. I landed him safely on the ground and he stopped screaming, opening his eyes to see he was on the ground and I was crouched in front of him.

"Why... Why did you save me? I thought you were bad!" I smiled awkwardly, "Well... I like to think of myself as a neutral force. I'm not really bad or good... Also... Y-You didn't tell anyone about my wings did... You?" I got tears in my eyes thinking of all the years I've been locked up in a lab, the pain I went through... Chase obviously saw my tears and tried to calm me down, "Hey... No. No, no, no... I didn't... Mostly because I was too focused on the ruined car but I promise I won't tell anyone..."

"Thank you..." I hugged him and flew to a coffee shop. I landed in an ally of course... "Why are we at a coffee shop?" I smiled awkwardly and held up a 30 dollar bill Carm gave me, "I uh... I'm not good at counting and I wanted to buy us a drink." After Chase helped me with the money thing we sat at a table, "So... Crow... Why can't you count good?" I stopped drinking and put down my drink.

Memories flashing back to me... I wanted to learn but that would mean I get smart... And me getting smart would mean I could escape... Me escaping would mean their little "pet" is gone... Their little "pet" being gone would mean no more learning about me... So they beat me if I tried to learn advanced stuff... I was limited to counting to 10... I had tears in my eyes and didn't realize it, "I was... kept in a lab for 22 years... It started when I was 14... I was limited to counting to 10... If I was caught trying to learn what was after 10, they beat me. If I did learn any higher numbers... They cut me..."

Chase looked sad and hugged me, "I am so sorry... I did not know..."

"How about we go to a party? It is halloween."

"Okay."

"I'll get chief to get us tickets."

"Thank you..." Chase left to talk to Chief as I drank the rest of my coffee and waited. Chase came back and told me we had some time before the party. We talked for a bit and as it neared the party we went to a costume store and bought costumes, Chase was a bannana and I was a crow. Once our costumes were bought I cut the fake wings off and made wing holes. We went away from the people after that, I took off my hoodie and wrapped it around my waist then grabbed Chase in a hug-like manner and flew to the party.

We entered the party and some guy dressed in black came up to us, "Crawfish? They're to die for." I took one and so did Chase, "Thank you man in black!" While at the party Carm bumped into Chase, "La femme- Noire?"

"Devineaux? Really not a good time!"

"It's okay, Carm. We'll stay out of your way." I grabbed Chase's hand and we walked away from Carm and some dude she was dragging along. "But Crow!"

"No buts, Carm's on a mission. Please, let us enjoy the party..."

"Fine.." I smiled, "Good! Let's get food!" We went to the table with the food to eat, I learned what types of food there was, Chase taught me to count, I learned that wrappers aren't food.... The hard way....

Well Would you look at that! Looks like Crow and Chase are getting along!