Chapter 48

The university city of Leuven sits not far from Erps-Kwerps, and in that city sat Vivian and Lucy, enjoying a coffee in the Grote Markt, beneath the slowly encroaching shadow of the nearby town hall. Vivian had a long list of shopping to do while on Earth and Lucy was happy to join her. Nevertheless, neither of the woman were keen shoppers and after a couple of hours decided to enjoy coffees in the old square.

 “I’ve been thinking, Lucy,” said Vivian.

 “Yes?”

 “The University of Mars is planning to set up a department of astronomy. It’s still a young university and small, of course, but the thin air makes for good viewing. Thanks to the company, the University also has a share in a couple of telescopes orbiting the Earth.”

 Vivian’s telephone began ringing. She looked at the screen, decided not to answer and continued. “I know they are looking for someone to head up the department. Now, I know it’s a lot smaller than Cape City, where you are now. And it’s on Mars, which is not everyone’s cup of tea. But, I reckon you’d do a great job with it, and you would be in charge.”

 “Is that a job offer?” asked Lucy.

 “Not exactly. I can make a recommendation to the university, which they will take seriously. But the decision is up to them.”

 “It sounds very appealing. I could do with a change and a new challenge. It seems like that position would offer me both in one convenient package,” said Lucy.

 Vivian’s telephone began ringing again. She muttered under her breath and ignored it.

 “Mars has a rapidly growing population, and a clever one. I reckon it’s because there were a lot of scientists among the early colonists and their brainy genes have been busy. To be fair, Maxwell reckons it’s because there’s nothing to do but read, study and go to parties and, again by his reckoning, the parties are not nearly decadent enough,” said Vivian as her telephone began ringing again. “Good grief,” she exclaimed.

 “Maybe you should answer it,” suggested Lucy.

 “Yes, it’s the only way we’ll get any peace. Sorry about this,” said Vivian to Lucy. Into the telephone, she said, “hello? Vivian here.”

 Her face dropped dramatically. “Oh, my...” she said, then listened further, before adding, “okay. Thank you so much for calling. I’ll head over there right away. Thanks again. Bye.” She clicked off the telephone.

 “Some nut has shot Maxwell,” she said to Lucy.

 “Holy shit! Really?” said Lucy.

 “I’m afraid so. Will you excuse me? I’m going over to the hospital.” She stood up shakily.

 Lucy took her arm. “Why don’t I come with you?” she asked. “Unless you’d prefer to be alone.”

 “No, no. I’d like it if you came with me. Thanks,” said Vivian, who promptly called the driver, who brought the car around. Within minutes, they were at Gasthuisberg Hospital, a scant few kilometres up the road from where they had been enjoying coffee.

 From the reception they were directed to the intensive care unit and there a nurse informed them that Maxwell was alive, albeit barely, and was being operated upon while they spoke.

 “And Wendy, the penguin who was doubtless with him?” asked Vivian.

 The nurse looked at his computer and flicked his fingers across the screen three times. “She’s been sent to the Sentient Non-Human Terrestrial wing of the hospital. It seems she suffered a number of injuries as well, but she’s not in ICU,” he said.